HybridZ

Where should I start?

Guest rommelrommel

Guest rommelrommel

I've got a 72 240, more or less stock. Car has not been regularily driven for about 15 years, however in the past 3 that I've had it I've tried to run it now and then. I'm done all other mechanical work to get it ready for the road except an E-brake cable (on order) so now I'm at what I"ve been putting off for a long time.

Car overall runs ok, engine only has about 10k km on a good rebuild. Carbs are way out of whack, but I don't know what the hell I'm doing with them really. Got a good mechanic lined up to tune them for me, but I want to get everything ready for him to minimize my cost, and I know something is wrong with the fuel delivery, and this is probably my weakest area for diagnosing a problem.

When I bought the car it had sat for a looooong time bone dry, no fuel. We dropped the tank, capped everything but the filler neck, and cleaned it with muriatic acid 3-4 times. By the end a lot of crap had came out, but what we could see looked ok. Previous owner had also done a hack job on the original breather tank, totally removing it and capping all the breather lines on the car. I've replaced all the underhood rubber lines with brand new ones. Mechanical fuel pump is new. I've put about 5 new filters on because they quickly (few hours of running) fill with a light scaley rust. I've blown the fuel lines several times in each direction with an air compressor and they seem to not be obstructed.

Currently, the fuel filter (new and clean) will not fill with gas past about 1/2 way.

Tomorrow I am going to drop my tank, and take a look inside. I also plan on replacing the rubber lines between the tank and the steel lines. Lastly I plan on either restoring the breather tank and all hosing, or attempt a mod I saw on here, capping all vents except the upper vent, and running that into the filler neck.

Is it normal that the fuel filter is not full while the engine is running? Where is my debris likely coming from if the tank and lines have been checked to the point I've said?

Welcome to the site!! It sounds like you still have rust in your tank. Buy this kit from Eastwood and seal it : http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=382&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=tank+sealer .

"or attempt a mod I saw on here, capping all vents except the upper vent, and running that into the filler neck." I have done this, and it works great!

To answer your fuel filter question, I had a glass filter on a carbed car, it ran fine, but the filter was never full.

Guest rommelrommel

Thanks! I've been reading for the three years I've had the car, never needed to ask anything in between the site and my haynes. Off to shop I go.