HybridZ

New Project blues

quicker240

Bought the Megasquirt kit,relay board,and stim board.Seems pretty srtaight forward till I got to the part"You now have the power supply assembled,plug in the battery and verify its operational".Well,its not... .Does'nt seem to be a section in the assemble instructions on testing the stim board.I have ground at #19 on the DB37 on the MS but no voltage anywhere except at the 9v battery terminal.Kinda hate to go on if I can't even get the 1st section working.... .Should I go ahead and totally assemble the MS or troubleshoot till I get the power supply section working.I'm all ears.

I have full voltage at 11 on the db37 and ground at 19 on the 40 pin processor socket.Also ground at 1,2 and 31.xg1 and xg2 jumped.x13(off of 11) is the only place on the ms board I seem to get any signifcant voltage at.I have checked diode direction and remelted ALL solder joints on both the stim and ms board.Been cleaning flux with alcohol and Q tips.Maybe a toothbrush/w/alcohol may clean better?why are 20 and 31 ground when they should be 5v? where does that circuit lead?also the picture on page 25 shows u5 with a metal screw insted of nylon,issue? all components installed on the ms board show ground potential when checked against BAT+.I must have a short to ground somewhere.Just cant seem to find it.Thoughts?

> I have full voltage at 11 on the db37

Pin 11 should be GND. Pin 28 is +12V

> x13(off of 11) is the only place on the ms board I seem to get any signifcant voltage at.

X13 should be floating. It is connected to pin 29 on the DB37.

> why are 20 and 31 ground when they should be 5v?

Just because you measure 0V doesn't mean they are ground. To check for ground, you should use a ohm meter to measure the resistance to a known ground pin.

What is the voltage at pin 1 of U5? It should be slightly less than pin 28 of the DB37.

:cheers:

Don

Does the IC1 processor mount on the bottom of the board? Seems to be the only way to make the dot/notch terminal tie in to 7,8,9,10 on the db37.The 555IC seems to be backwards.Everything else on both boards seems to check out.Instructions dont say anything that I could find about mounting the IC on back...and I could'nt find a picture of an assembled stim.Little help here?

Nevermind that last question.Problem found.Putting dunce cap on now.Mounted ALL components on the wrong side of board.Now wheres my solder wick.... .At least the MS is right.Just gotta rebuild the stim tonight.I'll keep you informed,and I'm sure entertained.Thats right folks,I'll be here all week!!

The plan is to install MS on a VH45 in a 72 240Z.I hav'nt even looked to closely at the Q engine yet as the car is soon home from paint jail and then the engine goes in.I know the original setup is coil on plug,which is currently not supported by MSnS or MSII for that matter.I assume at this point the VH has crank and or cam sensors of some type and I understand the VVT to be not electronically controlled.I see that Ford coilpacks can be used with Edis,can I adapt this type setup to the VH45 and eliminate the coil on plug?,or should I just wait for UltraMS and see what I can rig up on it? Just looking for a rough idea on a direction to go where I am not limited by the factory electronics on an engine of this potential.Any input here would be appreciated.I am planning to add a little nitrous on this engine too 150hp or so and I have read the nitrous section in the MSII area as well.Ideas?

Thanks for the links.I added them to the list.I'll be printing them all to a folder soon.There was a picture of the 36-1 wheel mounted to a chevy adapter in there.I will likely go the same route,if the vh45 does'nt have one already.Install looks pretty straightforward although some details are a little fuzzy as to the PIP and SAW signal stuff.This is all still a bit off time wise but it gives me stuff to scrounge up in the mean time.A police car garage on my route should yield all the EDIS modules and coil packs I will ever need.As well as VR sensors and pickup wheels off 4.6l V8s.Sometimes it pays to be a tool man.I'll also start looking over the MJ lite stuff in more detail.I'll post pics as real progress starts to be made.Thanks again for the help,I appreciate it!