HybridZ

constant velocity rack

I've got Subaru rack. I cut 240z crossmember at the driver side of engine mount which interferes with the steering shaft and the area below the pinion gear. Then I dremeled the drivers side of rack until it fit under the 240z crossmember bracket. I did it Sunday afternoon, easy job. Thanks guys!

Then I need some advices:

I have to make attatched Subaru rack between steering column. It can be done easily but I got an idea. The power steering rack has higher inclination angle toward outside at the steering shaft than that of 240z. So I think a pair of universal joints (or more) should be located with proper spacing between them to avoid slow-fast valocity at the rack. Am I too nervous? Do you guys with power rack have any experience in this area?

Kazu

Could you post some pictures? Second, I welded the bottom half of the miata rack and the top half of the Z. It's works fine with just the one joint. A side benefit is the the the new steering shaft is now further away from the motor, thus creating more space for the driver side header.

pop N Wood,

Wasn't the joint of the minivan actually two u-joints combined?

joints.jpg

fastzcars,

Mine is on the way to RHD conversion. You can see the subaru rack fits under the 'unmodified' 240z crossmember bracket.

subaru.jpg

Kazu