HybridZ

Oil pressure troubles - L28ET

Gavin

The other day I saw that my gauge was not reading any oil pressure and stopped the car immediately. Once it was towed home I determined that it was not the sending unit or the gauge so I ordered a new pump and installed it. Now the oil pressure jumps up and then goes all the way down erratically and a grinding noise is happening in the area of the oil pump. The shaft that goes between the oil pump and the dizzy fell out when I took the pump off, and I dont think that that was supposed to happen and could maybe be related. It is definitely not the contacts on the sending unit or anything electrical.

I'm thinking about replacing that shaft with one out of a 78 parts car - should that be the same part? Thats all I could think of trying.

Anybody have any ideas?

It sound like the gear that turns the oil pump spindle may have cracked.They tend to do this when subject to repeated high rpm.The solution is to use a NISMO spindle gear set or a set of a 68-69 510 1600 motor.

Thr shaft can slip out when the oil pump is removed.....Replace the shaft when the parts shaft...... remove and examine the shaft in your car for damage as 510 6 suggests....... If you are working alone... get yourself some small needle nose vice grips to hold the shaft in place after it is reinstalled to keep it from slipping out if the spade tip of the shaft is not at 11:30 at the dizzy end for proper timing purposes............................... Remove dizzy............Bring the crankshafr pulley/damper to TDC.... ...............install your shaft so the punch mark on the shaft lines up with the oil hole on the oil pump shaft................................ Check up on top to see if the dizzy end of the shaft's spade is pointed at 11:30 looking straight down at the top of the shaft. or ...........the top end of the spade should be pointed slightly to the right of the dizz'y's top mounting hole on the timing chain cover and the other side of the shaft spade tip should be pointed slightly to the left of the dizzy mount bottom bolt hole on the timing chain cover or i.e. 1130......... ................................................................................if not at 11:30... now use the needle nose vice grips to place the shaft so it's spade tip reads 11:30.. ...........................................line up the oil pump's internal slot with a spade screw driver and reinstall the oil pump while the top of the shaft is locked in place and held by the needle nose vice grips at 11:30( explaination: the spade tip of the shaft slips into the dizzy's slot at the bottom end of the dizzy shaft and the oil pump is slotted to take the other end of the shaft's spade tip .....Doing the reinstall in this manner resolves any later timing surprises and wrote as simply as I camn

OK I have the shaft out again. Thanks for the help so far.

So, like I said the dizzy is turning, so mustn't the oil pump be being driven also? It seems so simple.. Could a loss of oil pressure like I described be cause by something in another area? Still doesnt explain the noises I was hearing though.

Thanks again, & please help me :|

Oil pressure wise: The gauge might be good, but I had erratic reading on mine when I got it. It was the soldering in the cables that bridge the two PCBs.

I just took them off and bridged the connections with new cables and solder.

Works like a charm, original clock keeps time perfectly too.

Mario

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Put a mechanical guage on to verify your oilpressure problems. You could have excessive wear in the bearings causing the motor to loose pressure there. I've never heard a noise coming from you oil pump area, ever.

I've never heard a noise coming from you oil pump area, ever.

Its more like the area of the shaft. You can hear tapping from the dizzy to the pump and you can feel the tapping through the pump if you wrap your hand arround it.

I will try that, thanks.

your distributor/oil pump drive gear on the end of the crankshaft maybe damaged but this damage would also cause eratic missing in firing spark plugs.............loose timing chain/or worn out timing chain tensioner or guides...........Try other members advice to isolate problem.... saw the handle off a spade tip screw driver and connect to an electric drill to turn dismounted oil pump and the dizzy to isolate noise or problem....turn the crankshaft with 1/2 inch ratchet with sparkplugs removed for isolation of problem...also oil pressure sending units are notorious for malfunction and leaks.

• 2 weeks later...

I reassembled everything like Trouble said and installed a mechanical gauge. The gauge doesnt show any pressure and I cant even see any oil in the tubing - not consistant with what the OE gauge was telling me last. Could I have installed it wrong or missed a step? I guess I am going to go put the old one back in for now and see what it tells me.

I really dont like turning my car on and off with no oil like this..

The tapping seems to have disappeared also. If you guys could name some other things that could possibly cause this that would be great.

What voltage should the oil pressure sensor be putting out?

Thanks,

Gavin