HybridZ

Detonation...??

Now that I had to get my engine rebuilt since I had too much advance... How can I determine if I am getting detonation? I can't hear anything when I have the engine under load so I just wanted to see if anyone knew a way to check for it. Burning hole in my piston was not fun and I would really rather not do it again LOL!

Thanks!!

If you can't hear it, looking at the plugs are the only way I know. Little black specs on the porcelain are the first sign, little specs of aluminum when it's getting pretty bad.

Some good plug reading tech:

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/reading-spark-plugs.html

Be sure and check out the links at the bottom of the page.

John

I'm running about 11:1 compression and I am using 93 octane. I had a problem with the TDC not being set right and now I found out that my timing light was also broken!!!

So I had the engine rebuilt and had my machinest make sure the TDC was right... I also had the block decked .020, so I could use a .038 head gasket and now my quench is right were it should be so I expect that I will have less of a tendency to ping. Also now that my TDC is right and my timing light is correct, I set it to 10 degrees adv at 1200 RPM.

Check your total timing too, Joe, i.e. how much the timing is with all the advance in. You don't want over 35 or 36 deg total, maybe a little less with that much compression. I would probably start at 32 total and if I didn't hear or see any signs of detonation go up a couple of deg at a time to 35 or 36.

John

On my build it is very sensative on timing. If I have it advanced too much it will foul the plugs everytime. I have alot of seat time tuning this setup and it absolutely runs its best with about 6 advance initial timing period the end. When its hot out 4 advance is even better. When it s around 50 to 60 maybe 8 to 10 advance but no more. Im running the 750DP AFR190s MDS everything, dual plane Roller cam 510/520 at 110 LS, 2 1/2 duals all the way back out of 1 5/8 Block Huggers, Dual PLane. I initially ran it at 16 advanced and fouled all the plugs after one run. Yes I changed the jetting a 100 times and stayed with 70/76. 76 rear jets gave me my best 60 footers at 1.59 Stock 750DP 04779C came with 71/80. My best MPH came with 72/82s but the ET suffered. I also converted to the Proform main body. Just thought that may help some. The best way to find out the best timing is by ET and MPH but the weather changes all that...I will never need a timing light again for the 240...all I do now is advance or retard the timing according to the temp outside. I must also say that this car and tuning is incredibly consistent. I placed third last month here at the brackets and lost to the previous track owner of 20 plus years by only .001 secs! I dialed a 11.99 and ran a 12.00 with a .579 light to his dial of 10.10 running a 10.17 with a .529 light. I won 5 straight before the finals all within .01 or so. Oh 9:7:1 compression 92 Octane.

Terry