HybridZ

US CA18de, CA18det differences

goodoldjam

So i asked the question about the CA18et and CA18det. So what are the major differences between the Twin cam CA we can get in the US and the turbo version. Would it be possible just to lower the compression on a non turbo dohc engine and snag Parts from the turbo sohc Ca and make a CA18det. Are the internals far weaker in the CA18de? We did get a ca18de in a NX didnt we?

The only RWD CA18s in the US that I know of are the CA18E, CA20E, and CA18ET in the S12, and I'm not even sure about the CA18E :twak: FWD engines won't work, usually the block or head is different enough to make it much simpler to just swap a RWD engine (e.g. the case with the SR).

Guest 81na ZX

Block and head are similar between FWD and RWD engines. Theres a guy with a Sentra in FL with a CA18DET in it.

The main differences between FWD and RWD engines are intake and ancilaries (PS, alt, a/c).

I believe the only differences in block and head between our DE and the DET are rods, pistons, and cams. I've heard that the DET rods are stronger than the DE rods, but I'm not 100% positive.

So, besides the rods, cams, pistons, alt you need to change a FWD CA18DE to a RWD DET, you need an intake and exhaust manifold, mounts (which you'd have to fab anyway), and turbo

usually with nissan there is no difference between the block and head setup for rwd and one setup for fwd. the main differences are the routing for the coolant, accessories (as said), and the exhaust manifolds (which are all external items that can easily be changed and/or fabricated). sometimes the intake is different but for instance, the intake on the 2nd generation maxima and the Z31 300ZX are the same. they both use the vg30e and the maxima is fwd while the Z is of course rwd. the other difference, which won't really affect anything, is the placement of the motor mounts. they usually have the block tapped for using a motor mount in both the fwd and rwd application. the vg30e(t) for instance has the holes for both the rwd mounts and fwd mounts.

it seems the import engines are designed much better in the case of swappability compared to domestic engines.