HybridZ

another solid axel thread..

hat1324

ok guys, ive searched and searched, but all the old threads are gone(NUKE) and says not to bookmark them and blah blah..

I have a ford 9" sitting in my garage ready to go(non disc of course) and I know how it bolts up in a mustang.. but I LOVE the style of mikes coilover and S/S setup.. only thing is Im not tubbing the car(going with flares).

my question is, do I have to make that new rear frame? or is that just because he tubbed it?

any new links or new advice would be awesome...

ok guys' date=' ive searched and searched, but all the old threads are gone(NUKE) and says not to bookmark them and blah blah..

I have a ford 9" sitting in my garage ready to go(non disc of course) and I know how it bolts up in a mustang.. but I LOVE the style of mikes coilover and S/S setup.. only thing is Im not tubbing the car(going with flares).

my question is, do I have to make that new rear frame? or is that just because he tubbed it?

any new links or new advice would be awesome...[/quote']

It is partially because of tubbing it, but also for added strength. Does this 9" have leaf or coil spring brackets? Do you plan to use those brackets, or the S/S setup? What ever you use you need a forward mounting position to hold the axle in place. The coilovers will also hold it. It maybe possible to keep your old frame, but maybe an extra bar will need to be welded between the frame to mount the coilovers. Need more info

What are you trying to accomplish? I assume you are adding a nine inch because you want to make the car a serious drag car. I've seen camaro guys just weld a bar across the rear "psuedo" frame rails and mount coil overs right to the bar. I'm not sure how strong those z car frame rails are, my guess is it would work, but if you really are planning to make that thing fast I would go to an after market set of frame rails and back half the car with somebody elses complete kit and consider connecting up at least a roll bar to the rear frame rails. Besides a lot of tracks make that stuff mandatory if you are really fast. Getting leafsprings to work sounds like a lot more work.

I see guys doing stuff like this and they often start with what tire they want to run and work around that.

ok I went out into my garage and looked at it, its not from a truck its from a old fastback mustang. It uses a spring type setup with big Ubolts and brackets, i have a pic:

I havent put it under the car yet to lign up how I want to do it, but Ill prob put a crossbar through the frame and weld the coils to that. What coils should I use? and what sets the angle to the bar? As for how to do the front bars I dont have a clue, thats why im asking B)

I welded a 1-5/8" mild steel bar inbetween the stock frame rails on my boys z to attach the coil overs, works fine. The car has ladder bars mounted to the outside of each frame rail, inside would have been better, but we bought it that way. As and engineer, I don't even see the remote possibility that there would be a problem mounting the coilovers that way unless the welds were inferior quality and broke loose. My boys z is running 11.29 at like 7700 to 8100 density altitude, so it has lots of go. Hooks good and straight, runs real straight.

Dr. Hunt,

What engine set up is your Son running? 11.20's at that altitude is flat out hauling ***!

Sorry Guys! I am not trying to hijack this thread!

Mike

HAT1324 I don't know about turns, we drag race only and drive it on the street occassionally. They are the QA1 Competition coil over shocks, got em on ebay for $400 delivered to the house. 12 way adjustable shocks, truly awesome.

Mike, Just a 357 inch motor. Dart block, 3.5 inch stroke eagle crank, 6 inch carillo rods, JE 13 to 1's, AFR 220 heads, mild Crane roller 250/260 .600/.630 108LSA, S&S 1.75" headers, MSD 7AL2, Victor Jr., C&S aerosol billet 800 alky, Powerglide, 4500 stall, 4.56 gears, 9 inch, detroit locker, 29.5x9x15 slicks on 7 inch wheels. Neat ride, goes real straight, easy to drive.

JUST A...

should I keep the Ubolt setup or weld in brackets?

thank you for the link, if I stay Ubolt you will see a simmilar device on a Z :)

ill get it shortened here soon, once I clean out the underside, remove the fuel tank and cut out the back floor we'll see how I set it up..

I definitely will.. Indy mustang has some 9" housings Im betting hed trade for mine.. I like the idea of U-bolts so I dont have to get adjustible upper control arms to change the pinnion angle but the rear doesnt even have UCA mounts.. rents due, then comes the rear...