HybridZ

Metal flake paint on an early z: good, bad or ugly?

GabeRoc

what do you guys think? i have '73 240z that i have shaved the drip rails, rear bumper and side lights and i'm looking at a caribbean sea blue for the paint. my friend who is helping me with the sanding and such has told me that a modern metalic paint (with the small flecks) would help to hide small imperfections in the body. from what i have read here the s30 tends to look better in a bright solid (non-metalic) color than fleck paint. we will be spending a lot of time sanding and filling the body to make the panels as straight and smooth as possible, but i'm fairly certian it won't be perfect.

so what do you think? would i be better off putting down metal fleck paint to help hid minor imperfections or live with the slight waves and put down a solid color a mile deep?

i realize this a kind of an opinion based question but i was hoping that someone might be able to enlighten me or give me annother thought as to what to do.

Thanks,

--gabe

It will do the opposite. Paint with aluminum flakes will make the imperfections stand out like a sore thumb, esp. on a darker color. If your bodywork isn't perfect, and you want the car to look nice, paint it white.....

Otherwise, keep sanding, filling, and priming and sanding, filling and priming, and priming and sanding, filling and priming, and priming and sanding, filling and priming, and priming and sanding, filling and priming, and priming and sanding, filling and priming, and priming and sanding, filling and priming, and priming and sanding, filling and priming, and priming and sanding, filling and priming until the panels are flat and smooth.