HybridZ

Starting the motor swap

Ok, guys, this gets complicated. Taking the 357 out of the z, replacing it with the 406 out of the Monte. Going to change the cam, springs and oil pan on the 357 and save it for a backup motor to the 406. Building the turbo engine and going to put it in the monte to break it in before adding turbo's, since it's licensed, registered and insured and the z is not.

The 406 is a 14:1, Eagle rods, Eagle crank, dart block, AFR220 heads, Comp roller .645/.645 272/276 104.5LSA, Victor E, thumps pretty hard, the 3800 lb Monte SS with all accessories PB, PS, AC, Power windows, Alpine stereo, you know the works, goes 11.70@115 at 6100 Density Altitude. Going to rob the Torco 4000 stall converter out of the Monte to replace the 4500 stall that's in the z now.

Now, SEZ6, hmmmmmmmm................

Out with the old.......

Somehow I can associate with the mentality more than I would like to admit. Seems that if I had done whatever it is right the first time it still wouldn't quite be good enough. :-| Oh well. Sounds like a sweet deal. Will the twin turbo ever make it to the Z? But then what will you put in the Monte?......

:rockon:

I'm vehicle poor, NOT! At the house I have three trucks, 2004 Dodge diesel 4x4 4 door, 1999 Dodge diesel 4x4 extended cab, 1992 S-10 short bed regular cab 2wd for beebopping around town, 1985 Monte SS, and my boys z, 1973 KW dump truck, 1984 Peterbilt Tractor.

So the answer to your question, is that I really don't care if the Monte runs or not, I'm thinking I'm going to put it back in street trim, taking off the slicks and putting a mild hyd roller cam in it with some AFR heads. It has cruise, ps, pb, tilt, AC, PW, 4 wheel disc's, 9 inch ford, detroit locker,, SSM lift bars, weld prostar wheels, nice cadillac pearl white over a blue base with Spectraflair flames from the front to the doors including the hood, complete new interior. The reason I raced it is cause every time I drove it somewhere and left it parked, somebody tried to steal it. In fact it has been the "victim" of supposed thieves no less than 6 times since I've owned it and they've never been able to get it. Battery disconnect and ignition disconnect. They usually find the battery disconnect, but they can't figure the ignition disconnect.

The z is another story, I really like the z, but I dont have it registered and insured and I don't think I'd drive it much in the summer cause it's so hot and it doesn't have AC. That's why I'm thinking monte to get the motor broken in and then building the twin turbo setup and adding it when I get 1000 miles on the engine. I've seen too many ricer buddies start nailing the boost right away on their new motors only to knock the rings out cause their not seated yet.

This is the first step towards achieving that goal of the twin turbo z. Besides, I was going to pull the z engine anyway to change valve springs, cam and pan, and I had to pull the monte motor to put the turbo motor in anyway, so might as well, stuff the 406 into the z, so I'm not racecarless in the meantime. As you all know, this takes alot longer than we'd like it to since money is involved and of course thinking about parts compatibility and the fact that the turbo arena is new to me. In any event I'll still have one spare haulin' butt motor in the wings.

So let me get this straight!

The Z will become a racecar with the high compression 406 while you build the Twin turbo 357 for the Monte. Then when you have some miles on the TT357, it will go into the Z!

Can the Z trans and rear handle the 406?

Why not get insurance, etc for the Z and put in the TT357. Then drive it moderately until the rings seat (restrain yourself ):twisted: .

I only put 50 miles on my rings until I punched it.:shock:

My suggestion is based on the fact that I don't want to wait so long until another TTV8 Z roars to life on HybridZ.:-D

Hanns