HybridZ

Surge, running under load maybe?

EZ-E

I have a 82 turbo ZX and I have a problem which is more likely a headache of stock electronics.

No matter what I do to adjust and set it properly I am having a problem in boost.

When under load unless it is full on throttle, as is I cannot just pedal it to say for example 5 psi, it will flutter, and it sounds like the turbo is winding hard but not putting nothing out.

The car will sometimes jerk, not in a violent motion, but subtly up and down like yoru gassing up and down in a rapid motion.

It also seems that it just isnt doing what it should with what I have, I would think I would have gotten faster but it seems as if by butt dyno that Im at the same level as I was before.

I have a T3/T04E turbo, 3 inch from turbo back exhaust, adjustable fuel pressure regulator set at 37 psi static, any other setting makes it run really bad and unbelievably rich. I am using a Walbro 392 fuel pump, it is relayed and has 10 gauge power and ground wires to it. I have ported the front side of the intake, added a 60mm tb.

I just cant seem to make it run right, it does run slightly better as most with the O2 disconnected, but it seems that the adjustment on the tb also seems to determine how it is running in boost as well.

I do also have a front mount intercooler installed as well with a Greddy bov.

I think I should just talk to Gray Zee and get one of those 300zx kits or maybe mobythevan and use Megasquirt.

The headaches are just getting to much to deal with on stock electronics

Do you have the gredy bov recirculated? Cause it kindof sounds like the problem I had. Under full boost the bov would hold. But when there was more boost b4 the throttle body then the intake manifold because of the tb then it would try to vent it. I didn't relize it intill my bov hose popped off one day. If not this then I would like at your afm. Check make sure the specs are with range. Good luck

Yes I do have the Greddy bov, and it isnt recirculated. One thing I found strange when I added the new turbo was I had to loosen it to the soft side by 3 turns from where it was with the stocker turbo, just to get it to vent. I will check into that and see if tightening it will help out. Thanks.

Also to add I did find something else, it also seems that my ignitor is bad or is going bad, there looks to be a burn through the back side of it, but I thought if they were bad that the car wouldnt even start. its like a 1/4 inch burn through that black material on the back of the ignitor.

Hmm now I feel really stupid yet I dont know how this happened, one thing I didnt do was to check the timing, DUH on my part.

I verified timing, again and again and again. Set it properly and now she runs great. Also on the throttle body, I had to two wires backwards so that probably did not help either.

Once I switched the wires to theyre proper position, adjusted the TB and set the timing properly, and turned the bov tighter, she now runs perfect as can be again. I think it was the combination of the TB and the timing with the bov to loose.

Thanks for your help on that Thumper.