HybridZ

Entering 1st at 35

rudypoochris

I was just wondering what kind of damage is being done when I enter 1st at 35mph (5,000rpm). I don't do this anymore but i used to for engine breaking down a horrible hill. Any way when i would do it i would put the stick in neutral at 35 shoot the engine to 5,000 rpm (redline) then push it into 1st with no mishaps, just like selecting any gear, no syncro whine no hesitation no need to force. I cant see how this could be detrimental to the tranny but it just seems not right any opinions? (please dont flame with out evidence/reason)

Also this is a stock t5 in a 1992 ford explorer xlt it will enter first with no syncro whine, or force applied to lever, in a very reasonable amount of time at 25 with out revving the engine.

Keep doing it and something will give....One thing I know about old Datsuns as a general rule of thumb : 5 speed equiped cars usually have better engines and running gear because in fifth gear there is less wear and tear on everything...the engine does not work as hard at speed in 5th gear. Down shifting that way puts a lot of force and pressure on steel parts.You were working the vehicle hard and as a native Oregonian on mountain logging roads you do not start downshifting unless the brakes are smoking......LOL I probably tore up more rigs that most will ever drive. Now that I pay for it, I am very careful..Had a truck driver friend whose company truck motor was getting a lttle ragged. He geared it down on a steep hill and blew the motor (on purpose).