HybridZ

Carbon Fiber ZG flares

Montoya

Well, I went ahaead and used the nutserts. Everything went perfectly except for one that didn't pull quite right, and now spins inside the hole. :( I can see it from the inside though, so I'm going to try to epoxy it in place. After that one I made it a point to crush the living hell out of the rest of them when installing, and they all feel very solid. The rear uppermost nutsert on the back flares needs to have the hole drilled through both outer and inner fenders for it to fit flush with the outside of the body. I didn't do this on the first one and as a result, thats the nutsert that spins now. I also used a thin layer of Gorilla Glue on the nutserts before installing them. This glue expands quite a bit while curing and should seal up any gaps between the body and nutsert.

The MSA flares fit up decently. The front flares have a few areas that don't quite sit flush with the fender, but I think they will be OK after I trim the wheel openings in the fender, the extra flex from removing the fender lip should allow the sheetmetal and flare to conform together a little better.

It was dark by the time I got finished, so no pictures wrth posting yet. I should have some decent pics up by tommorow.

Mike

Nice! :2thumbs: I guess you don't need deep dish wheels with ZG flares for a Z to look bad@ss :D

You wouldn't happen to have a shot from directly behind it, maybe 20 feet away, and from like 2 feet off the ground, would you? :-D I would love to see what those steam rollers look like! That would be such a cool picture. :-D

Hey Tim, check it out, he has wheel chocks! :twisted:

!M!

Pics...And one of my new bumper I made for my cherokee last week' date=' just because.

Mike[/quote']

Ah, me like! Car looks menacing in silver and black--true Raider colors! You must be a fan!!! :2thumbs: j/k

Seriously, nice work on the flares and I think they look great in black---did they arrive that way? I wish mine did!!

Bumper for Cherokee came out great too. There have been a number of Zs in the Bay Area that sport a tubular bumper, bent to conform with the body and probably work a whole lot better then the stock ones...any chance you will fab some steel ones for your Z?

Davy

Nice!

You wouldn't happen to have a shot from directly behind it' date=' maybe 20 feet away, and from like 2 feet off the ground, would you? :-D I would love to see what those steam rollers look like! That would be such a cool picture. :-D

!M![/quote']

Thanks for the compliments! I wasn't quite sure how the flares would work with the 10.5" rear wheels, but I seem to have gotten lucky with this combo. This is an older picture, taken right after I put the Cobra wheels on. Unfortunately this is the best shot I have at the moment from directly behind the car:

beefytires1.jpg

Ah' date=' me like! Car looks menacing in silver and black--true Raider colors! You must be a fan!!! :2thumbs: j/k

Seriously, nice work on the flares and I think they look great in black---did they arrive that way? I wish mine did!!

Bumper for Cherokee came out great too. There have been a number of Zs in the Bay Area that sport a tubular bumper, bent to conform with the body and probably work a whole lot better then the stock ones...any chance you will fab some steel ones for your Z?

Davy[/quote']

As they sit is exactly how they arrived, the gel coat is really well done on these. I could probably get away with leaving them with just the gel coat, but I'll probably end up painting them since it will be easier than polishing out all the fine scratches and dings I made on them during installation.:)

I've been seriously thinking of making some bumpers out of 1"X2" rectangle tubing. Something very close fitting and simple, probably either black or color matched to the rest of the car. A round 1.5" tube bumper would also look pretty cool if done right. Or if I move away from California before I get done with the car, no bumpers. :)

Mike

Hey Mike, what are the sizes of those tires you are running, both front and rear, and width of front wheels?

I want to run about 9" and 10" on my car, may have to go 9" all round tho as look at my car in sign pic, its heaps lower than most. What do you think?

BTW your car is looking great!

Cheers dude,

The fronts are 9" with 245/45-17", rears are 10.5" with 275/40-17". I'm using the front hubs from the 300zx, which add about .75" to the track width on each side. My front wheels barely tuck into the fender at a fairly high ride height, lowering would make them rub quite a bit I'd imagine. Once I get the fenders cut out from under the flares, I'll adjust my coilovers as low as I can to see how much drop you can get away with. The rear is another story, the 275's stick out about 1.5" past the stock fender lip. No way these would work without flares, although the 9" wheels with 245's probably would. Again, once I get the stock fender lip removed, I'll drop my coilovers in the back and check just how low it can go without rubbing. Both front and rear tires have about one finger width (think tiny midget fingers) of clearance before hitting the spring perch on the coils. Hope this helps,

Mike

• 6 months later...

Unfortunately no. I've been procrastinating quite a bit, along with getting side tracked on a few other projects. My current apartment complex is also pretty quiet,and probably not the best place to be cutting auto body sheetmetal with anything other than hand snips as all my neighbors seem to be little old ladies who sit around all day at home with nothing better to do than complain about noise........ Rant Rant Rant. I'll either be moving to another apartment pretty soon, or towing my car to the auto hobby shop at the local Marine base so I can do the cutting, along with all the other metal fab work I have to do to the car. I will post pics as soon as I have anything worth showing though.

Mike

any pics of the flares close up? i've heard a couple people were unsatisfied with the weave.

Mine are just the plain fiberglass flares, I posted them on here just to show how they fit up, as I've heard they are from the same mold as the CF flares. Maybe someone with the CF flares will chime in on this concerning the weave.

Mike