HybridZ

Can i use a zxt rad with a 350 chevy?

My question is, can i use a new 280zx turbo rad with my small block chevy conversion? It would be a 3 or 4 row rad so i cant see why it wouldnt work well, its about the same size as the nova radiator that jtr recommends. I would be running an eletric fan with it as well. Thanks for any info.

Guest 305240

I'm running a stock 280Z rad with a stock 280Z shroud. I have a Taurus two speed fan setting inside the shroud. I had to trip the Taurus fan shroud down so it would fit, then I bolted it to the shroud. This way, all the air being drawn by the fan goes thru the whole rad, not just parts of it. I'm running a mild 5.0 and not having any problems.

Right now I am running a new ZX radiator with my 383 and it is not cooling sufficiently. I am running some version of the Taurus fan but it's not one of the bigger ones (it measures about 13" in diameter). On cool nights I can level off at say 235 degrees which I know is not desireable. I am however running a fairly wild 383 with the stock oil pan. If you read Grumpy's post about cooling he recommends a higher volume oil pan since oil also cools an engine. I have noticed that with my hood off I have significantly less to no cooling problems. I think a bigger fan may be in order for me before I can definitively say no to the ZX radiator for your sbc conversion. I would try it since you have it and see. With a bigger fan and a milder engine I think you might do fine and I have heard of other people doing it.