HybridZ

Project update 406

Removed the 357 this AM, Removed the 406 from the Monte early PM, installed the 406 late PM into the z. Had to go get a load of rock and piddled around for about 3 hours to get the truck, hook up the dump trailer, flat tire, yada, yada. Rather be working on the z.

406 is bolted to the motor mounts and trans, headers are bolted on, starter is on, actually left it on, swapped torque converters, I like the Torco 4K stall converter better than the redneck 4500 stall, besides want it to stall less since I have monster torque anyway with the 406. A few minor things to finish on Wed, and then we'll try to get the rotor phasing right on the distributor and fire that puppy up. Can't hardly wait.

Then better tear down the 357, change cam, springs and oil pan, got a B&B pan, if you need one for your z, check them out on ebay, pricey, but a quality piece.

We'll see if we can get it going by Sat, and race it on Sunday, should be good for some mid 10's here. Cross your fingers and we'll look for a new timeslip in the database on the 4th of July!

Alky it is, keep in mind I have the leftover, (doesn't sound right) 357 cubic inch motor for a backup. It only dyno'd at an altitude corrected 600+HP I can't remember the actual number. The 406 made 690 altitude corrected, so I'm picking up about 90 or so HP and about 50 tq.

The turbo engine is in the works.

Went mud bogging on Saturday, and drag racing on Sunday. Got the 406 all ready to go friday night, set the valves, put in water/AF, started it up, sounded waaaayyyyy wicked.

Got to the track at 1PM, unloaded the car, took a buddy for a ride to warm it up. I don't run a fan, but I like it to get to 150 temp wise anyway. He was impressed even though I never got on it. Tach decided to crap out, so I was sans a tach. Oh, well, run it anyway, it has a rev limiter. Keep in mind I told everyone at the track that I had "Tuned it up a bit"!

First run in left lane, didn't know what to expect. Did the funny car type burnout as always, since I don't have a line lock. Backed up and staged, lights came down and I left just as the third yellow just began to come on, like I do in the Monte. Red light. -.011, but it pulled a mondo wheelie (both wheels) and ran 10.59@126mph while bumping the 7000 rpm chip in the MSD box before going out the back door.

Ran 4 more passes, all in the right lane, which isn't as good, 10.60 to 10.66's, and went 3 rounds. Density altitude was 8400 feet, which from what they tell me was way better than saturdays 9600 feet. Track temp was 135 degrees, dude's it was boiling hot. But what a ride and officially I'm in the 10's. Planning on SEZ to see if it'll get into the 9's on motor.

I'm going to redo the wiring, and order some new slicks and see if I can get a transbrake in the thing prior to zfest. The 9 inch slicks hook real good.

The track photographer has only one pic and it can be found at http://www.abqdragway.com under the photo section for July 3, 05 when they post them. That photo is my second time trial and I still have the 11.30 time on the glass. Everyone I knew was asking what the heck I did to it to go from 11.30's to 10.50's, uh, just phased the rotor, set the valves, and changed jets. I know, lie like a dog, but it's just a 406 competing against big blocks cause there isn't one sb doorslammer car in the 10's on motor alone in Alb., except this one.

Since it was bumping the chip, I'm looking for some 4.30 for 4.11 gears for the 9 inch ford rear. I don't know how much gear to drop to compensate for the added power to be found at sea level at SEZ. Also, I think it'll pick up some time since with all that new HP I only gained 4mph, but gained .75 seconds, so it's obvious it has way too much gear in the rear end right now.

My monte is a pearl white with spectraflair flames. Spectraflair is that new paint that came out at the 2004 SEMA show and is a chameleon (sp) type paint except that it is like a prism and goes through the rainbow of colors. Dodge painted a whole ram in it at a cost of 8K just for the paint alone just for the SEMA show. I'll post a pic of the car in the gallery.

Been trying to think of what color to paint the z, it might be fast, but it's ugly and I'm not too proud of the scoop. You guy's ideas would be welcomed!

My boy Bryce wants to go with flat black with a satin clear coat. Personally I'd like to see a Brandywine that I think comes from the house of colors paint company.

Well, coming from you Hans, that's a compliment! THANKS!

I had a '29 Model A ford with a 434 made out of old leftover junk parts from circle track days and it was painted Brandywine with a clearcoat. I don't think I can get it done by SEZ even though the body man says he can. You all know about paint shop prison.

How much lower numerically gear should I get to compensate for the additional 18 to 20% power recovered by going to sea level? I'm thinking 4.11's since it has 4.56's now.