HybridZ

ECU Question

Toysport

You should see a thick bundle of wires coming through the firewall behind the kick panel, and the 36-pin connector on the end. If you don't have that then you are in trouble, because it's an OEM part and can't be bought or made. The only relays in your car are connected to the ignition switch and don't have much to do with the ECU, but to turn the power on & off.

The only thing you could do now is to find a Z car with fuel injection- another 280Z or maybe a 280ZX. You'll need the entire f.i. harness completely intact to transplant into your car. The ECU plugs into the AFM, coolant sensor, all 6 injectors, etc.

Can we assume you got the car without a running engine? Without a working ECU, the engine won't work, unless you convert to carbs, which is a whole different story.

It still won't be that easy to do.

You can get one of those 4-barrel performance intakes for the carbs, but you'll need to get out your wiring diagram for the fuel injection system to see how to wire up the fuel pump power (remove the old f.i. pump and put on a carby pump- TOO MUCH pressure). If you have a JTR book, it'll tell you how to do that with a (Mopar, I think ) oil pressure switch.

Maybe the same deal with the ignition, unless the stock dizzy will work for you.

I heard that an early 90s Jaguar 4 litre engine uses the same f.i. harness and ECU. This might be a good opportunity to see if it really does, but only if you happen to have one handy. :D

thx

• 2 weeks later...

I found an early 90's jag 4 liter but the wiring harness and ecu is completely different. Again, does anyone has one of them connector behind the kick pedal that they are not using? I can't afford to buy a carb right now.

I'm sure some 280z owners went foro the 350sbc and no longer needing that connector. Please help.