HybridZ

I fear I may have detonated my new motor :(.

titanium

I ended up buying Owens motor and tranny, its all installed and everything mounted up great. We started it and have been running it for a few days, I've noticed some popping and cracking noises and we just thought it was running really rich due to an exhaust leak. Not thinking much of it I drive it a day or 2. Well we fix the exhaust a bit still a tiny leak and there is still a fair amount of popping and such from the exhaust. Well we finaly get around to hooking up to the FAST system and notice my idle A/F ratio is about 16, as soon as I touch the gas it dips down and if I try to take off at all it will go down to 11.8ish. What do you guys think are all those pops and cracks I'm hearing actually detonation occuring or am I semi safe since it was happening at idle?

Don't skip by checking your timing as well. It is very important!

Chances are you have no detonation at idle... What is your AFR under load? 11.8 is a very safe mixture under load, providing your timing is in the ballpark of where it should be for your particular setup.

Sounds like your problem isn't mixture though.