HybridZ

What's Wrong With This Picture ?

What about internals? CR? and what turbos are you using?. Garret T3/4?

Myron,

I'm running 8.3 CR and a friend gave me the 375 E 80 Rajay turbos to use. The turbos' exhaust housings are also .80 A/R which is a little large for my 383 set-up. I don't use a wastegate since the turbos max out at 17psi boost.

I tried .60 A/R housings but it was too much power for the tires and I was boosting already at 2000 rpm. At part throttle I was running on the freeway with 10 psi at all times. The turbos reached 30 psi at WOT but my fuel pump couldn't handle the boost.

The rotating assembly is from Speed-O-Motive with 4340 crank, Eagle 6" H-beam rods, and JE pistons. The cam is a solid roller from Chet Herbert with reduced base circle and 114 LSA.

Good luck on your LS1...keep us posted.

Hanns

Jason' date='

The box should be welded up in a couple of days. It just won't look as good as before, oh well.

I believe I found out why it backfired at WOT.

My new Proform carb body came with .036" replaceable high speed air bleeds but my old Holley carb body appears to have much smaller hi speed air bleeds(apprx .030").

Unfortunately, I [b']azz-umed[/b] both bodies had similar bleeds. The holley manual states each .001" change in bleeds is a 7 percent Increase/Reduction in fuel. This may not be a problem for naturally aspirated engines but for turbos a 42 percent reduction in fuel at WOT could cause a lean backfire.

I've ordered smaller air bleeds and some tiny drills to adjust the bleed orifices. Thanks for your concern. How is your Z coming along?

Hanns

Hanns, I'm glad to hear you seem to have found the problem. As for my Z, I sold the body shell, as it had a bit too much rust. But, I already have a line on a 72' Z with almost perfect interior for cheap and a 73' Z with a pretty decent body. I still have all my parts and pieces though, engine, trans, T72 turbo, etc. If you ever decide your Z is too much to handle, give me a call, I'll gladly take it off your hands. (just joking). Good Luck getting it operational.