HybridZ

primer choices?

Guest turdbo

Guest turdbo

i am currently doing a datsun rebuild i have shave markers and im building custom bumbers...but what kind of pripmer should i use before i paint?..will some rattle cans from auto zone work or should i invest in a spray gun and find a better kind of primer?

Hey,

Well if you are just putting it in primer to drive around i think most agree on a epoxy primer. But if you are just shooting it before paint go with a urethane 4:1 catalized primer. I used nason primer and basecoat and then dupont chromaclear. I would just suggest you go to your local paint store and talk with one of the guys there most are very knowledgeable

Guest 305240

Again, as stated above. I've always used Ditzler condor. It's a heavy fill brown primer mixed with laquer thinnner. I've used this primer with laquer paint, acrylic enamal (mixed wit the approperate reducers) as well with Imron and other polyruithane paint. I've used the hardners in the poly paint as well as the acrylic enamals. I've always used a propane torch to "chase the moisture off the bare metal", then used an metal prep to wipe it down with. All I'm telling you is old school. I've never shot the new 2 and 3 part paints. I really don't know as I want to. What I use gives me a super gloss and looks deep. It's also easy to repair. Note: Imron, when mixed has to be shot almost right away. However, if a mistake is made and you have to re-shoot, put the mixed can of paint in the refridgerator. This will stop the actavation hardning process. I had to do this when my little girl wiped her hands on the reart of a customers Camero and I had to let it dry so I could water sand it the next day. The refirdgerated paint did great. It was just like I had mixed it the day before. Just another old school trick. Remenber.....Prep is the most important thing you do. Any mistake there will tell on you after the paint is applyed.