HybridZ

B&M Shift Improver Kit may not be a good idea in a Z

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

The 700r4 hangs in 1st for a long time. And with my B&M kit it hangs longer and shifts hard enough to bark the tires EVERY DAMN TIME. No matter what speed I am doing when it shifts, it spins 'em and makes a nice chirp. This was kind of cool at first but it is getting pretty old. I got some rather crappy tires, and my question is "Will better tires end this problem? Or is the Z simply too light to have a kit like this." If tires are the answer, what tires are recomended if I want to stay with 205/75/r14 as my size?

On a similar note. My tranny pan gasket has a slow leak. In a Haynes manual it says that the tranny over full of fluid and/or too much fluid preasure can cause a tranny to leak at the gasket. With my B&M kit and my extra large tranny pan, I have both stronger fluid pressure, and more fluid in the pan. Could this be my problem?

Thanks

Have you adjusted/backed off the d-tent cable at all. My built 700r4 has the tendancy to bark em and have real stiff shifts. I just backed off the detent cable a click or two and it shifts a little easier and no barking shifts.

I have had this tranny for 4 yrs now with one rebuild only due to lots of drag racing. I love it! You might just try adjusting it a click or two and test drive it and make adjustments accordingly.

Mike

Guest tony78_280z

I thought that the TV cable could not be "fine tuned" in this way without risking damaging the tranny. I thought it had to be set "just right" for the tranmission to work properly.

I have the same problem with my 700r4. The shift from 1st to 2nd is way to strong for regular driving.

Bowtie Overdrives has a TV cable kit with an adjustable cam on the carb linkage. It is designed to lower the pump pressure during part throttle shifts while maintaining the firm full throttle shifts.

I haven't ordered this yet but it sounds good.

Brian

On a similar note. My tranny pan gasket has a slow leak. In a Haynes manual it says that the tranny over full of fluid and/or too much fluid preasure can cause a tranny to leak at the gasket. With my B&M kit and my extra large tranny pan' date=' I have both stronger fluid pressure, and more fluid in the pan. Could this be my problem?

Thanks[/quote']

I wrestled with a autotranny pan for 5 years, replaced it with every type of gasket known to man, the night before I sold it I tried one last time with a new pan (the second new pan) and new paper gasket with gobs of sealer after waiting till the transmission was completely dry and perfectly clean. Damn thing didn't leak and I sold it, what a B***. That fluid is so thin it'll slip out and having a pressure in the case doesn't help anything. One of the reasons why I hate autos is because of this. Never owned another auto since. (if you don't count my wife's cars).

I really considered a 200r4 for this swap but changed my mind just in the nick of time. I don't regret my decision, but we'll see when I'm sitting in stop and go traffic with a stiff clutch and a torquey motor if it was truely a wise decision.

• 1 month later...
Guest tony78_280z

Update:

I loosened up the tension on the TVCable. I must have loosened 3 or 4 clicks worth. It runs a hell of alot better now. It only barks in second when I'm realy gettin on it now. It doesn't seem to hang onto first as long as it used to. It still shifts firm and will probably still eat up my u-joints in record time, but no more high revving first-second shift with that appaling bark.

I Originaly set it up as per the instructions. Hook it all with the adjuster all the way pressed in, then yank the throttle open all the way allowing making the adjuster ratchet out as far as it would travel. I guess it wasn't ratcheting out far enough.