HybridZ

First long trip in a long time.

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

For the first time I took my Z out onto the open road. Plated and insuered, I cruised Down I64 for 150 miles into St Louis where I'll be living for awhile(again). It was the first long distance trip in my Z that I have taken in 2 years. 2 long years since I begin the v8 swap. While I discovered alot of new gremlins in the car, it really didn't do too bad.

On the highway I averaged about 17mpg. I figure with a bit more carb tuning, new plugs, wires and MSD system I can get that up near 20mpg. (My overall goal.) In the city I had considearbly less, and I blame the 700r4's low first gear for that. Read here.

I had get up and go at any speed. While I have yet to truly open it up, this stock motor was the meanest and fastest thing on the highway. Some one in my blind spot when I want to get in front of him? I slight press of the peddel and I've zoomed in front of them. Getting up to speed on the entrance ramp of the free way is a major thrill.

I took the long way to work today and completely enjoyed the commute. Most of the day it sat behind the store with the hood open so my co-workers could "check it out" suprisingly most were curious about my exhaust set up. One co-worker called it "the beast" well it truly is a monster. While it handles as good as it did before the swap, it drives alot rougher. (mostly that damn shift kit)

The next few days will be spent on the new gremlins (like brake lights and whipers) But if your in the StL your sure to see me cruisin with one hell of a grin on my face.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tony78_280z

Driven to work and back every other day for the past few weeks. No major problems. A little more carb tuning and It's getting a bit better MPG in the city, still don't care too much for the B&M shift kit (read here for more info), and I got more power out of my carb (here)

Still having fun, and it's still a monster.

Guest tony78_280z
[/php'] ...so everytime you take it for a spin I feel a bit tingley LOL - (I'll leave that one alone.) I still owe ya one for the organ. I wish I could have been more help on that wiring issue you had. And I wish I could have steered you from MSA before they got you too.