HybridZ

what all needed for EFI?

hat1324

im going turbo ford 351W and i want to use a carb, but uh oh its $800 for the carb alone, the intake, and its hard as hell to tune..

If I went EFi I could get a dyno tuned reburn for 150 from a local shop..

now in most cars Ive worked on (300zx's) the harness is insane.. but I see its not as bad on foxs/trucks.. I know I need a fuel rail, Injectors, Fuel pump, fuel preasure regulator, maf, and throttle body.. Half of witch I needed anyway

now the computer and harness might be a seperate unit, I know the Z uses a crank angle sensor and knock sensor attached to a seperate unit..

also they use a oil preasure unit and temp unit that also attach to the comp..

what does it use?

You could also put together a GM-based system. The big advantage of that approach is that many ecm's have been completely hacked - you can find entire binaries, notated and annotated, at places like http://www.diy-efi.org and other places. Also, the components are cheap, easy to find, reliable, and easily modifiable to virtually any platform. You could likely go to any j/y in the country and find a '7747 or '7730 computer for $25, get the sensors you need at Kragen or Autozone for another $100, get the hardware you need to modify the 'bins for another $150 or so, and go to town. Downside is there's a fairly steep learning curve, but if you're going to jump into efi you'll be climbing that hill anyway.

yeah, and I got 2 harnesses about 24 computers, a gt40 and a truck intake, 2 fuel rails, a stock maf(selling), about 300 in engine gaskets, and a engine stand for $20..

mustang shop closed and said take whatever I want.. but the stand was $20.