HybridZ

an ah for a 280 jtr

your best bet may be to drop Mike and Greg ( jtr ) an email or call them ...

as far as i know, most of what they have is geared at the 240z ...

you've probably already seen this website ...

http://www.datsun-280zx-lt1.com/

as well as this one ...

http://home.earthlink.net/~dvgreimann/index.html

Ross had a V8 zx car, was stolen ... you may want to contact him as well

sorry i can't offer more than that ...

wayne

OK which of the parts am i going to need out of this to do the swap?

https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/Datsun-ZX_Order.html#cooling

it doth be a 280zx

i've got the 240 soon to have that 500cid block in there if you all remember me.

WHOO go lots of no time to work on the z!

I don't get it? Which car do you have? a 280, a 280ZX, or a 240? What is your question? We need more info, and try to make your sentences more clear.

It's a 280ZX 1982. Non-turbo. I'll probably e-mail them, but I just wanted to ask you guys just because it's easier. And no, I have not heard about that website. I'll check it out.

I know they're mostly 240Zs, but they have a 280ZX kit now and I wanted to know which parts out of it I will be needing - seeing that they don't have a exact package deal on that kit.

Although - I also have another friend with a 300ZX (z31) I beilive it was a 87 non-turbo he got a from a yard perfect condition except the tranny. So I was curious if there was a kit for a v8 too.

THANX ANGAIN ALL!

OK, that's better...So you want to install an older generation SBC in a 280ZX, correct? Out of that list I would start with the 280ZX mounting kit, the radiator brackets, maybe the radiator, but look around you may find something cheaper. I would also look at the headers. That would be a good start.

As far as I know there isn't a V8 kit for a 300ZX.

See the attached link for parts for the 1979-1983 280ZX V8 swap:

ttp://www.jagsthatrun.com/Datsun-ZX_Order.html

yeah i know i have been there- it looks like that only those with the rack and pinion stearing need these.... Or is that wrong? or does he need this as well?

Vega,

You will probably only need the 280ZX mounting kit and possibly the ZX headers. I didn't want to take any chances on getting cheaper headers with thin flanges, and I'm pretty pleased with my Sanderson's from JTR. I already had an aluminum radiator so I didn't need that, and I used off the shelf flexible hoses from the parts store. This is mainly what you need to get started. I just got done doing this swap into my 81 with manual steering. I've got a chevy 350 with a Camaro T5 behind it, and its a blast.

so how long does the swap take- at least for you?

any poblems- or sugestions?

how is the rear end holding up?

how/where did you get the drive shaft done up?

how much did the t5 run you

we are thinking auot for his car so which tranny for cheap that will hold up enough and is not going to kill for gas?

and what kind of gears are we looking at in the rear end? will we need to swap this out for that 200r? or do we already have that rearend?

sorry for the bombardment of questions it is just nice to know someone who has done the swap already.

thank you all you all have been a great help. so far as now no other site knows anything about this really. thanx again!

The swap took me about 2 weeks of part time work. I suggest you use a sawzall or plasma cutter to cut off the old transmission mount, and remember the new piece goes behind where the old one was, not on top of it.

The rear end has held up good. I may have a bad mount on it though, I think it will need replacing. Other than that, I have no vibration problems or anything of the sort. It is very smooth.

I had a local driveshaft/machine shop modify a driveshaft I got from an AT firebird at the salvage yard. The yoke fit the T5 perfect, and I just had it shortened to the length I needed.

The T5 cost me about $575 shipped. I found it at car-part.com, which is a nationwide parts listing from salvage yards. It was a lot of hassle and expense, but I insisted on having a 5 speed.

The 280ZX already has the R200, I believe. My 81 does. So you shouldn't have a problem there. And even with a carburetor it seems to do OK on gas. I'm turning about 1,500 rpm at 60-65 on the highway in 5th gear.