HybridZ

painting suspension

innerware

Ok so what I have found in a search for painting suspension parts was: POR15 and powdercoating. I would like to do the work myself and not pay for the powder coating. I have a spray booth and all the spray equiptment at work. I have used por15 before and know that a bunch of you don't like it. It can delaminate if not prepped right and it isnt color safe with the sun.

Do you all just recommend a 2 part primer? Epoxy, or Urethane? Should I just go to my local auto paint place? Any advice is great. Thanks

I would recommend a 2 part epoxy paint or powdercoating.

Btw you can do powedercaoting yourself -- i personally have the eastwood gun and it works awesome the whole kit is 130 bucks to get started. Youll also need an old kitchen oven and a sandblaster. PC'ing works great, lasts a long time, and is super durable, not to mention about any color is availible. Check out eastwood's website.

-Austin

Heres my front caliper that i pc'd my self. These were a pain to get every cranny bead blasted and then even powder in the fins but they turned out awesome

IMG_0811.JPG

heres a shot of the front supension all pc'd -- i woudl say ther is about 20 dollars worth of powered on the entire front suspension.

tcrod2.jpg

Rather than powder coating or POR-15, try using Zero Rust.

The thing I don't like about powder coating is that if it chips, it looks bad and rusts.

POR-15 has had it's share of detractors, and our own RacerX (professional painter) has stopped using it except where the customer is adamant.

He has switched to Zero Rust and loves it. It is single part, but tough.

No Iso's like POR-15.

The thing I didnt like about zero rust -- ad btw i love the product i painted the entire undernieth of my car ith it before undercoating. -- Is that is it flat black, you may be able to get it in different colors, but flat colors are very hard to clean and hold dirt. Nothing is really gonna stand up like powdercoating but i agree if it chips its doesnt look to great and you cant jsut touch it up.

Thanks guys. I probably won't want to spend the money on a powdercoating setup. Even though it isn't much, it just seems like more of a pain in the arse to deal with. I have used zero rust and like it. I could always use that as a base coat and then put a two part epoxy on top I guess if I wanted more of a gloss. Thanks for the input.

Hoke.... great looking parts.. I will be looking for an old oven....been figuring my next tool purchase would be a blast cabinent. LOL This thread will save me time and money.... I will not paint any of the suspension parts for the GTO project and wait for the accumulation of the home powder coating tools. May take awhile since the wife has me on a short leash. GTO project http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/album?.dir=8223&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/my_photos

Don't get me wrong about powder coating - for the caliper, which are unlikely to get beat by road debris, I asay go for it, but for general suspension stuff, I'd rather just paint something that can be touched up if chipped.

As for Zero rust being flat, you can always top coat it with their clear...