HybridZ

30E into 260Z

zdizeez

stock they make pretty low power n/a and are hard to get any power out of n/a, however, they're very torquey down low for what they are. when you turbocharge them they turn into a whole new beast.

the VG's are very strong engines and will take a major beating before giving out. with a decent turbo setup and a 87-96 300ZX tranny (i wouldn't use the 84-86 borg warner p.o.s. tranny) the thing should be a pretty quick car.

as for swapping it in i was going to do that swap myself but decided to go with the vh45de out of the q45. the vg30e(t) is definitely a good candidate for a swap imo. as long as you put a good power adder (i.e. turbo) on there it would be a blast. also, i'd personally use the vg30e to start with over the vg30et as it has a tiny bit higher compression (vg30e - 9:1, 87-89 vg30et - 8.3:1). some will say you don't want higher compression for a turbo setup but 9:1 isn't all that high. a lot of Z32 guys upgrade to 9:1 pistons. this will allow the turbo to spool a lot faster, give you a lot more power in all rpm ranges, etc.