HybridZ

Shocks... Struts... Coilovers...Springs

Ok... being a good Hybrid Z member... i searched... and searched.. and even PMED some people about info... but i still havent found a convicing answer. So here is the question.

Coilover Kits: Ground Controls...modern-motorsports... MSA.... arizona Z car... they all have the coilover perches... with great spring rate choices... and set ups... but my main question is... what are my shock and strut options? {Beta Motorsport's Kit is nice.. full set up.. with goodies... good with the high price though}

It seems that we have a lot of coilover kits... but how about shocks and struts. This is wat i know of...

Tokico illumina... and their "high performance" one (non adjustable?) then there is KYB... which KYB? And Koni's... this is wat i know alot of people with GC in general use.. (meaning other cars than Zs... especially the Koni YelloW). Can Z's Use YellowS?

So i guess the question to the public is... wat shocks and struts are out there for these coilover kits out there? The more adjustable... the merrier... 5 way are the illuminas... is that the most adjustable shock/strut out there for the Zs?

Please enlighten me with these information...

Guest nitr0

Which Z do you have? Almost all Koni's are adjustable, some are externally adjustable (with a knob on the top) and others are internally adjustable, generally you take the shock/strut out of the car and compress it fully until the valve's attach.

240-260Z (excl 2+2) 70-06/74 : Fronts and Rears still in production in the classic style. Black shocks made to look like original's for restoration process.

F: 86-1811

R: 86-1812

260Z-280Z 7/74 - 6/78 : Fronts avaliable only, same as above.

280zx, zxt and 2+2. 7/78 - 83 : Rears have sports (Yellows) avaliable.

R: 8040-1173Sport

Sourced from the Koni Australia July 2003 catalogue, there should be similar info on http://www.koni.com

Fronts you can use a strut insert from an Audi, however its recommended to get them re-valved as the Audi's are FWD. Best used if your lowering the car 20-30mm (1 inch) and i think you also need to put something under the insert to raise it up an inch. If you are building coilovers then you shouldnt have a problem installing an alternate unit as long as you keep the sizes the same.

If your in Australia, i can get Koni's made for Z's / ZX's but its pretty expensive - upto AU$1000 a pair. However, alot of people here in Australia bolt up lots of different stuff and it seems to work pretty well for them :)

Koni also has a double adjsutable 8611 that works well in a 240Z strut. The only issue is that the compression adjuster is on the bottom of the shock. You can get to it fine in the rear if you drill a hole in the bottom of the strut.

For the fronts, the ball joint is in the way, but jacking the car up and removing the two steering arm to strut bolts is not that big a deal. Again, you'll need a small hole in the bottom of the strut to get to the adjuster. And, your spacers need to have a small hole in them also.

FYI... I need to update my web site. The Koni 8610-1149 I used in my strut package is NLA and the replacement 8610-1437 has too stiff compression damping for the 240Z. I can build the strut package with Tokicos or the Koni double and adjust the price accordingly.

Sweet... thanks for the info guys. Well... she is a 1977 Fairlady Z... 2/2.... and i really need coilovers soon. Really was looking into hardcore JDM names (i wanted to keep her 100% Japanese brand name parts...since she is already... 100% japanese bred car)... but gave up since its really hard to find...or probably even get one. So i am looking for suggestions for set ups. Definetly a street driven... but i wouldnt mind having an aggressive set up since im used to "drift" suspension on my 240sx. It will see track some times... but not always. So wat set up am i looking at? What kind of coilovers...and wat kind of shocks/struts?