HybridZ

Urathane Paint Respirators

Guest run_n_fool

Guest run_n_fool

Hi Guys,

I am aware that when shooting urathane products one should use a forced air respirator to avoid inhaling isocyanates.

But why is it that on shows such as American Hot Rod, Overhaulin', and others, the painters never seem to be wearing forced air equipment? in many cases, the specifically mention shooting clear so I assume they are using urathane products.

Any thoughts?

RacerX, I didn't check out your links so if I am repeating something, I apologize. But I did work in the paint and body business for twenty five years and have something to say on this subject. Urathane is POISON!!!! very bad stuff. Read the label... it doesn't say may cause... it says WILL cause damage, to brain, lungs, you name it. It can even cause reproductive damage, causing birth defects. Never try to spray it anywhere other then a real paint booth. Don't spray it in a garage attached to where people live. Even after it dries, the overspray dust is still poisonous. (and it goes everywhere)

If you see guys (on TV or where ever) spraying it without a pressure feed, they are retarded. (STUPID) Growing up in the biz, breathing fumes was part of the mystique of being a bodyman. But back then it was mostly lacquer.

Those charcoal filtered things aren't even good enough for lacquer primer. Part of the main purpose of a spray booth is to pull the paint fumes away from the painter! A good pressure fed respirator is expensive. Get one that covers your whole face too or wear googles because your eyes soak it up worse then your lungs. Oh... and you can't use your regular air compressor for the air source, there is oil in the air! Not good for lungs either. You need a oilless compressor.

It seams like all of the shows, American Hot Rod, Overhauling, American Chopper & Monster Garage would make a great safety video on how not to do the job safely. Almost no one wears safety glasses, welding hoods, gloves, no guards on grinders, respirators and such. We have talked about using them as a safety meeting for the construction firm I work for to see how many unsafe acts we can find!

I would like to see the bosses start yelling at everyone to follow the safety rules.

RacerX, thanks for the welcome. I read your posts and see you are a professional painter. Like I said earlier, I did it for 25 years, tough business. Had a lot of fun, worked on some really cool cars. Anyhow... thanks again for the welcome.

SHO Z, I just don't get reality TV at all. I was thrilled that hot rods and working on them seemed to have hit the big time. But then I watch those idiots and just cringe. They reinforce every negative stereotype of car and bike guys.