HybridZ

Choices, choices. Need some help!

I am seriously looking into going the V8 route in my 1973 240z. I was thinking that a 302 Ford would be nice, but after a bit more education it seems the chevy swap is quite a lot easier. I am definately going with a 5spd (or 6), no automatics will really be considered. The help I need is in trying to decide an engine to go with. Ideally I'd like to buy a car with a 5 spd and the engine I want, then take both out and basically part out the car. (have to be a cheapish car though)

NOt against doing a mild rebuild of the engine before putting it in. Anyone have any ideas on what cars I should look for to get a decent smallblock and a 5 spd other than cameros/firebirds? Also, should I look for a 350, 327, 400 or another smallblock? I've heard nothing good about the 305 so I'll stay away.

Thanks, looking forwards to becoming a part of this forumn!

------------------

-------------------------

Drax240z - 1973 240z

Welcome Drax240z, glad to see you made it over here from ZCar.com.

I don't know anything about it but here's a guy selling a complete LT1 "All stock, standard, bore, stroke, bearings. Assembled complete long block with aluminum heads, stock roller cam and lifters with pan and covers". He did't quote a price.

http://207.158.197.120/wwwboard/messages/881.html

If you have a limited budget, I would call your local salvage yard and ask for a small block Chevy with a T-5 bolted on the back. My quess is that a Camaro or Firebird would be your best bet because I think all of the later ones had a hyd. clutch.