HybridZ

supercharger / carb box questions...

Guest lastRebel

Guest lastRebel

Hey everybody, I'm pretty much new to Hybrid Z, though I've read a bit from the archives lately, I still have a couple of questions. I'll give you the run-down of what my current engine looks like as far as parts so we'll be on the same page...

Currently:

Completely rebuilt Nissan L28 (F54 block)

Maxima N47 head

-Completely rebuilt

-Port matched (not polished, slightly rough finish)

-.480 Lift, 270/270 dur. cam

-Shneider springs & retainers

FelPro head gasket

Flat top pistons (original)

Turbo Tom Holley 390 intake (will definitely have to upgrade carb. if I go supercharged)

MSA coated header (6-1)

I've got this idea in my head that I can put a clutch-type pulley on the nose of my M90 supercharger and run it from a switch when I'm at the track (suckin' down race gas). The thing is, I've already got high compression (~10.7:1). I was aiming at around 10psi of boost. If I went to a 2mm. metal head gasket (taking my compression down to around 9.5:1), would this be possible, or just a blown engine in the making? I've seen high compression forced induction setups mentioned before, but I need a little more info on it. My doubts lie in the stock flat tops giving out and head gaskets blowing like a kid with a pinwheel. Am I right to assume this? Obvious solutions would be O-ringing the block and getting forged pistons, but this is a junkyard buildup, on a very tight budget ($1000 so far minus the header). So whatcha think?

Also, does anybody know of a good place to buy carb boxes for blow through applications (even if I have to use it on another engine)? =)

Thanks,

lastRebel - Joey

I have been in the process of my forced induction carbed project. You really do not want to use forced induction on a high compression engine. The more fuel and air you get into the cylinder each stroke the more power. On blow through carbs you have to jet for more air so without the supercharger running you will be to rich, fuel injection would run better. You could run a wet supercharger without an intercooler, but the Eaton’s Teflon coating on the supercharger rotors will be removed by the gas. There are some TR6 guys running a single Jag SU on this setup and from there web pages have not had any problems.

I have a M62 supercharger off of a SLK Mercedes and it comes with a clutch installed from the factory. I have a set of triple SK Racing 45 MM and intercooler. From my research DCOE weber type carbs can be run without boxing.

Here is a lot of information out there for you look at.