HybridZ

Mystery RB25DET / GF problem - Long

Guest nitr0

Guest nitr0

Hey all, Basically, GF went to start car (R33 AUTO :( ) and it didnt start, came storming back into the apartment screaming "WTF DID YOU DO TO MY CAR", as its her pride and joy and i was the last person to drive it. Car was turning over but not firing, being a computer geek / suspension person i told her to call RACV (mobile mechanic insurance like thing).

Day 1 - RACV Came, spent about 2 hours checking fuel pump, lines, injectors, fuses (in 3 locations), battery voltage, then went bezerk with a multi-meter and concluded that it was the ignition module, 2 bolts and 2 plugs and i could do it myself, simple :) GF was dubious and still upset that her "Hatsumomo" was still not starting.

Day 2 - Spent an hour or 2 locating ignition module for $80 and another hour picking it up after work, came home, bolted it in and wouldnt you know it the car didnt start. More time researching online. GF gets more angry, more nasty language.....

Day 3 - Get 2 friends who know about cars to check it out, find nothing at all, clean electrical connections all over the place and still no firing. Invite mechanic from work to come over and help me. Relationship is currently at stake - i apparently killed the Skyline.

Day 4 - Get woken up sleeping on couch (hungover) by mechanic from work at 9am. Unplug / Re-Plug things for about 3 hours - attempting to start the car, firing but not running. Somehow, Daryle gets the car running - it pops and spurts for about 3 seconds and it runs fine from that moment on, GF spent an hour or so driving today with no problems.....

I'm told it was being fed too much petrol and the motor was getting flooded from trying to start - we suspect it was something in the ECU letting alot more petrol in than its meant to have?

So, any idea's on what could have happened? I'm banned from driving her car because i was the last one to drive it - GRRR. I'm also thinking about using a non RB motor if they are going to act like this.

So it probably was the ingnition module however from all the failed start attempts the engine was flooded. What is strange is that those modules are normally fairly strong and rarely break unless you have a bad ground to it. I would double check the ground on it just to be sure.

Guest nitr0

I tried the original ignition module after we got it working and it was fine, I just installed the new one for the principle of it, i paid for it, i'm gonna use it!

Someone will post something similar somewhere someday and i'll figure it out, i guess just keep using the almighty search function :)

I tried the original ignition module after we got it working and it was fine' date=' I just installed the new one for the principle of it, i paid for it, i'm gonna use it!

Someone will post something similar somewhere someday and i'll figure it out, i guess just keep using the almighty search function :)[/quote']

Have you checked with the Skyline's Down Under forum? They have more RB experience than this forum would. [Not trying to offend anyone here who is an expert at RB's, just the volume of their knowledge on the RB motors I think is more plentiful]