HybridZ

The RB26 oil pick-up problem??

Jason81NA,82RBtt

I'm helping a friend of mine install a RB26DETT into his 280zx. He has already got the RB20DET oil pan and pick-up tube, but as we guessed the oil pick-up was for the rearward location not the front location. What we need is some more details (pictures) of what others have done about the oil pan hitting the oil pick-up tube flange, and also the making the 90* turn toward the rear of the motor before hitting the inside of the oil pan. Thanks

Jason

I am in the process of the same mod for my 240 except im using a front sump type from an rb30 (much cheaper and easier to get here) very modified. It has the same flange pattern as your rb20 sump. What I did was grind out just enough from the inside of the flange for the pickup flange to clear it. It has to be done carefully though as if you take too much there wont be enough meat between the bolt hole and the inside for the gasket to seal. So only take exactly enough to clear. Then weld in a patch of metal. You will have to be somewhat competent with a welder and grinder to attempt this as the welding area will only be thin. Afterwards clean it up with a die grinder so the face where the gasket will touch is smooth and flat and there is enough room for the bolt heads to clear. Probably easiest to use allen head bolts for at least these two that are affected . Where the pickup tube fouls on the bottom of the sump will also need to be cut out and a patch welded in that sits higher to clear the tube. Sorry I have no pics as yet but will try to have some on the weekend if I have time.