HybridZ

sbc bowtie engine

Guest Fast Frog

Guest RON JONES

434CI SBC?Yes,not a problem. Scott Shaffiroff Race Engines sells them in short block,long block or complete engines.They are also offered in a kit forms.(631)293-2220

I remember seeing a 454ci small block in a magazine some where.I want to someday build a 434sbc for a streetZ.

[This message has been edited by RON JONES (edited January 10, 2001).]

For any interested in a 454SBC, "The Best of Hotrod Magazine:Volume#9" has an article on that exact setup.

It used an iron Bowtie Block#366287, 4 1/8 stroked Sonny Bryant B.R.E. counterweighted 4330M alloy crank w/heacy metal inserts in the counterweights for balancing w/a cylinder bore of 4.185.

JE dished Pistons/10.5:1 Compression. 6" Carrillo rods, Alluminum 356 T6Phase Heads which were ported.

Crane roller rockers/lifters. Stainless steel Intake Valves 2.100/1.600 exhust.

EFI Intake Base Manifold provided by Edelbrock while Lingenfelter provided the TPI Box plenum which included a N.O.S. system. Two other test were made w/Holley 4barrel & a Arizona Speed&Marine Semi-Siamesed Runners.

Their choice of camshaft= Crane Roller 256/266-degrees/duration @ .050 while advertised duration was 306/296 that yielded a .596 net valve lift on the intake/.582lift exhuast.

The dyno results are:

1.)Holley 4 Barrel

Peak HP:553 @5800 & 584 ft.lbs @ 4500

2.) Arizona Speed&Marine set up

Peak HP:502 @5000 & 582 ft.lbs @ 4200

3.) Lingenfelter Box Plenum

Peak HP:525 @4900 & 589 ft.lbs @ 4500

Source: Paul Pfaff Racing Engines

Huntington Beach, Ca

Ph#714/894-7573

Guest RON JONES

Thats the one I was talking about.I remember the H.P.numbers being not that impressive,but the torque numbers,wow.My 715H.P. 468bbc that I use to run made 596lbs of torque,that motor would do wheelstands.

Guest Fast Frog

Hey Dudes:

I'm casually looking into diff engine types for future projects. My engine builder said he thot that the aftermarket sbc "bowtie" engine can be bored and stroked to something over 430 cubic inches. Has anyone heard of such an animal. If it can be done, what a setup that would be!!

Rick

So why are the HP's so low for such a large cube engine? Not enough valve diameter to get air and fuel in?... I have a buddy

with a 383 that dynoed 602HP and 545lbtq

the realy cool thing is that the motor

dynoed over 500lbtq from 3000 rpm on up...

Myron

Guest RON JONES

553hp isn't to bad for a 10.5:1 motor.582ft.lbs is awsome.The thing has a lot of stroke,4.125.Thats .125 more stroke than a 454 bbc.With the bore being 4.185,this thing is almost square.Your basic stump puller combo.If they put a bigger cam in it,a much bigger cam,it would make a lot more power.I think they wanted to keep it streetable.Myron does your buddys 383 have a lot of compression?And a nice big roller in it.Is it a race motor?The #'s are very impressive,I wouldn't think it would be a low compression,moderately camed motor.If I'm wrong,that's even better.

Guest RON JONES

553hp isn't to bad for a 10.5:1 motor.582ft.lbs is awsome.The thing has a lot of stroke,4.125.Thats .125 more stroke than a 454 bbc.With the bore being 4.185,this thing is almost square.Your basic stump puller combo.If they put a bigger cam in it,a much bigger cam,it would make a lot more power.I think they wanted to keep it streetable.Myron does your buddys 383 have a lot of compression?And a nice big roller in it.Is it a race motor?The #'s are very impressive,I wouldn't think it would be a low compression,moderately camed motor.If I'm wrong,that's even better.

My friends motor is for racing, It is in a

70 Z28 with a fiberglass front end/

pglide/transbrake/back halved. It does have a full interior and glass windows though.

The motor has a solid cam and heavily

ported & modified brodix track 1 heads.

It IS a pump gas motor though. I think he is runnig around a 10.2CR....

I think it was built by "The Wop Shop" in Houston

Guest Fast Frog

Ron:

I'm very seriously thinking about!! I want to gather more info on the setup, particularly, the proper cyl hd/intake/roller cam match up. I'd like to use the TPI mini-ram fuel injection setup that I've got on my 383 and I know I'll be going with a solid roller cam.

I think I want to take the complete 383/WC T-5 drive train out of the blue beast and use it for another Z project-probably a Z convertable using John Washington's conv kit. Besides, I need to fix some poorly installed helicores I used when changing hds 4 yrs ago. I'd keep the Accel DFI sys and other related electronics for the new 434 or 454 sbc setup. My wife's been after me to consider a Z convertable and that non-supercharged 383/WC T-5 may be the right setup for a conv at this elevation (4600 ft).

I'm fighting off going with another supercharger cause of all the probs I had with the Paxton and hearing the probs some of you have had (i.e.,John Scott's belt tightening and bearing wear-71 240Z w/an ATI Procharger, etc). And yes, I'd be looking at a T56 tranny for this new engine. A lot of this is still in the "dream-fantasy" stage, but sounds very doable.

Any tips or suggestions??? I'll welcome all!! smile.gif

Rick

Guest Fast Frog

Wow, Pauli!!

Thanx for that 434 web site info!! That's a mean mother loving setup. However, it may be a little more than what I want to do! But it's stored away for immediate future reference.

Anymore piping hot stuff???!! (you guys are going to get me into trouble yet, hee, hee)

i just stumbled across it in the c3 section of corvetteforum.com ... those guys are cool. between hideously large small blocks and hideously larger big blocks... man. one guy is building a ~30k engine. 522cid aluminum bbc, with a quad rotor whipple setup. that's two of their largest blowers, each with a 2100cfm throttle body and 6 96lb injectors. he's looking at somewhere around 1200hp. and he honestly plans on using it as a daily driver.

he only lives 4 miles from work smile.gif

Guest Fast Frog

Thanx guys!!

I've been making calls and have found out some interesting stuff. When I get finished with the inqueries, I may post what I've found out. I've also plotted some info on my Dyno 28 and Dyno 2000 programs. The results are not bad for a non-race application!