HybridZ

Fairlady ZX bumpers

aarang

I know this is probably a long shot, and some will say just find a Fairlady ZX and get the parts you want off of it, but I have always liked the smoother look of the Japanese/Euro/Aussie bumpers on the 79-81 280zx, and I was just putting it out there if anyone knows of a source or a parts car to cannabilize.

I had thought about using the MSA fibreglass airdam and rear valance and just cutting off the lower portion, but I still don't think I would be happy with the look. I am originaly from Australia, and have lots of relatives in the Melbourne area. Anyone from down under want to ship a set to me?

Oh well, one can dream!

Aaron

This person did what you are talking about:

http://www.zcar.com/month/2002/12/

I've always wondered that since its just a cover, to just take it out, cut/flatten the little extrusions, and put a layer of fiberglass to make it smooth.

Most of the ZXs from Japan that I have seen have the airdam with the openings right before the hood, so maybe you can find the cover for cheap since they seem to be getting rid of them.

Mario

Guest Battle Pope
This person did what you are talking about:

http://www.zcar.com/month/2002/12/

I've always wondered that since its just a cover' date=' to just take it out, cut/flatten the little extrusions, and put a layer of fiberglass to make it smooth.

Most of the ZXs from Japan that I have seen have the airdam with the openings right before the hood, so maybe you can find the cover for cheap since they seem to be getting rid of them.

Mario[/quote']

Wow, that's a really clean car.

"tenzo-r" and "lightweight" really don't belong in the same sentence though lol

I am serious about getting a set. The bumpers are probably not that expensive, it is the shipping cost that would be alot. I can and will pay to have them shipped to the US.

Frank, are the bumpers you have in good shape, meaning no rust on the chrome, and the rubber isn't faded? I am interested if you have a set. I think I would also need the shock mounts as the bumpers I have seen seem to sit closer to the body than the US versions. Another option I think would be just to get the rubber part and the shock mounts front and rear, would be alot less to ship them. LMK what you think, thanks

Aaron

Hey Frank,

So if I wanted a complete set of front and rear bumpers, covers and mounts how would you like to go about exchanging funds and shipping. I would like the compleste front and rear instead of just the rubber and mounts, just in case there is any problems with mounting them to a US facebar. I don't know if crating them up and sending it via ship would be cheaper than sending say by UPS. I work at a company that has a loading dock and lift truck, so I think it would be less than sending it to my house. I am not in any big hurry, so if it takes a month or two to get here, that is alright. I appreciate you doing this BTW.

Maybe if others are interested in these, I could get a few sets. A "group buy",perhaps?

Aaron

Hello Frank,

Just wondering if you have any info on shipping these and the price you would want for say 3 sets of front/rear bumpers and mounts. Of course I would be paying for shipping and crating. I have contacted a few shipping companies about this, but they seem to only have info on containers, not what I wanted to do $$$$. What port are you located near? It might make my search for a shipping company easier.

Anyone else have any shipping companies they have used in the past for crated items? Thanks

Aaron

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...