HybridZ

How much does the afm open under full boost?

Thumper

I was just pondering how much the afm is a restriction in the stock efi system and then it dawned on me. I have never looked a the flap or top of the afm while it was being dynoed. At 15-18psi I wonder how close I am to maxing the afm out and how much a restricition it really is. So has anybody looked at there afm while doing a dyno? Even at lower boosts let me know. Thanks.

Guest bastaad525

I would say that at full boost/wot it's not a restriction. The flap is meant to open all the way, that is to say, however far you can push the flap open with your hand, that is how far open it will go at WOT.

Well, I guess it would depend on how much boost you are running. At stock boost, it's been widely speculated that the AFM is fully open at around 4000-5000rpm, and there's been a lot of dyno/wide band info to support this.

So up to that RPM it is a bit of a restriction I guess. But really, when people talk about the AFM being a restriction, they're talking more about at low load or sudden throttle opening where the spring door definately slows throttle response. That's usually the first thing people notice and rave about when switching to any other EFI setup that gets rid of the AFM... how the throttle responds so much more quickly. But as far as top end goes? nah... I wouldn't expect to see any difference at all....