HybridZ

250 front clip?

Boy from Oz

In reading various threads I have come across references to numerous 250 front panel configurations by various suppliers. The Kit I'm thinking of buying has the whole front bodywork tip forward like an E-Type Jaguar - the bonnet (hood) in integrated with the guards. Many of the pictures that are posted show a separate front-hinged bonnet. What are the pros and cons of these various configurations?

I think there is only one supplier in this country but I'd be interested to know.

John Washington of Reaction Research produces the Velo Rossa kit that features the the full tilt front end of which you speak. http://reactionresearch.com/automotivedetails.htm

Advantages are cleaner nose and better engine and front suspension access. Disadvantages are that it deviates from the original Ferrari design.

Johns car is not a "replica" as it is a spyder (convertable). Ferrari never produced the GTO in a spyder body.

If you want a hard top with the full tilt nose John will be happy to sell you just the parts you want.

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I'm limited to kits by local suppliers. Importing kits to this country is just too expensive. I'm happy to read that there are no real design weaknesses in a one-piece front section.

Finding a donor car is proving very difficult.

I think the only supplier in your area is Classic Revival http://www.classicrevival.com.au/

It appears that their kit is based on the original Eagle/Alpha One molds. There was a significant problem getting the hood to line up with the front of the nose with these kits. Tom McBurnie http://www.thunderranch.com/gto.html solved the problem by moving the hood farther rearward toward the windshield so the area between the three front air inlets and the hood edge was wider thus reducing the warping in this area. He also mounted the hood to the radiator support using Corvette hood hinges which was much better than Joe Alphabets' (Alpha One) flange and bolt system. While he was at it Tom changed the shape of the nose, headlight covers and grill opening to more closely match that of most of the original GTO's.

John Washington http://www.reactionresearch.com/automotive.html solved the problem by modifying the original molds so the hood became a one piece clam shell.

I speak from experience having spent hundreds of hours trying to get the nose and hood on my Alpha One GTO to fit properly.

236622_1_full.jpg

However, IMHO, I would not want a clamshell hood because it is not like the original and looks somewhat unfinished when the hood is open but some people like it. Make sure you carefully check out the kit for fitment problems before you lay down some of your cold hard cash!

Speedracer - thanks for the feedback.

If I read you correctly, the clamshell type front solves hood alignment problems but lacks a degree of authenticity. I think I can accept that compromise. What exactly do you mean by "carefully check out the kit for fitment problems"?

If your car pictured has an Alpha style nose, lights and grill then again I would be more than happy with moulds available in this country. Your car is simply sensational.

I'm trying to research and address as many likely problems that I can before plunging into this project. One that has me concerned is the availability of Dayton wire wheels and adaptors - are they available new and how would I get on if I buy a donor car that has fitted non-standard brakes? (I'm keen to buy a car with a V8 already fitted which in all likelihood will have bigger discs all round).

If I read you correctly, the clamshell type front solves hood alignment problems but lacks a degree of authenticity. I think I can accept that compromise. What exactly do you mean by "carefully check out the kit for fitment problems"?

If your car pictured has an Alpha style nose, lights and grill then again I would be more than happy with moulds available in this country. Your car is simply sensational.

I'm trying to research and address as many likely problems that I can before plunging into this project. One that has me concerned is the availability of Dayton wire wheels and adaptors - are they available new and how would I get on if I buy a donor car that has fitted non-standard brakes? (I'm keen to buy a car with a V8 already fitted which in all likelihood will have bigger discs all round).

I fully agree with y-not. The people from Dayton Wire Wheels http://www.daytonwirewheels.com/ are great to deal with. Hopefully they will ship down under but, if not, I am sure they can recommend a dealer that will. Unless the off-set was changed when any suspension/brake work was done you just have to make sure the knock-off hub adapter fits your vehicle.

BTW, the have all the dimensions for the Z based GTO wire wheel kits on file.

What I meant by "carefully check out the kit for fitment problems" is that you visit the manufacturer and see how the kit goes together and/or talk to someone that has assembled the kit and find out what problems they had. You can spend a huge amount of time trying to get the whole kit to fit together properly.

And yes, my car is an original Alpha One GTO that I bought in kit form, many years ago, from Joe Alphabet before Ferrari shut him down.

Good luck with your build.

Once again, great information, many thanks. Sorry for the delays in posting but we have 12-14 hours time difference. I had decided earlier to have the supplier fit the panels. He tells me he does 2-3 a year so I figure he knows the tricks. In fact I knew the guy thirty years ago when we both raced - he was an top fabricator then so I trust he still is. I'll take on the work from there.

SpeedRacer are you anywhere near New York? I would love to see that car in the flesh. I've promised my wife to take her there next February for our wedding anniversary. Actually, I'm just trying to get in her 'good' book so I can proceed with this project!

Still no donor car.

Sorry, Boy from OZ but I am not near New York. I'm located just North of Detroit in a town called Rochester Hills. If you do make it out this way I would love to show you & your wife my car. We might even go for a little ride if the weather is nice.

Please let me know if you are coming this way.