HybridZ

Project Silver Bullet- 240Z LS1 Update

I drove the Silver Bullet to the Z convention this past week. Over 1000 miles round trip including some really demanding miles on the track at Watkins Glen and on the Autocross. I must say that with the exception of a few minor problems the car performed great!

The trip up was good. We did have rain and drizzle for most of the ride up but I managed to get 21 MPG at an average speed of 72MPH with the A/C on.

The exhaust is too loud and has a booming effect on your ears with the windows up. I will be adding a resonator soon. The car ran at a steady 195 degrees the entire trip. It did develop an exhaust leak that lead to alot of back firing on deceleration but it didn't seem to hurt the performance too much. The tach was working intermittantly and seemed to be effected by changes in voltage (wiper, turnsignals, A/C, etc.)

The gearing is great too. I love the 6 speed. At 100MPH in 6th, the car is taching at 2400RPMs. The 3.54 rear is a good match with the motor and 6 speed but a 3.70 might help acceleration more. Like it needs help.

Other than that no complaints.

They had a Dyno at the car show and for $75 they would do the set up and 3 pulls. The best pull was the last and the car made, are you ready for this,

317RWHP

365 RW TORQUE

This is a stock 2002 LS1 motor with 1 3/4" headers, 2 1/2" dual pipes to a Y pipe to a 3" single the rest of the way back and a cold air intake. No tuning yet either.

I am super happy with the swap. The car performed well at Watkins Glen, easily keeping pace with Z32TT's and 350Z's and did well at the autocross too.

Still lots of stuff to do to make it the way I want it, but all in all it is better than I could have expected.

I received lots of nice compliments on the car from many Z enthusiasts. I took Ken Jones for a ride and after the ride he asked if I wanted to sell it. I consider that a huge compliment. Sorry Ken, not for sale. Well maybe but you could build one cheaper then what it would take to get me to part with it.

Most people commented on the super clean install. I kept hearing "It looks like it belongs in there."

On_the_Road_240Z_LS1_and_510_godbye_053.jpg

Thanks to all of you here on the list that helped to make this project a huge success.

Now I just have to get it to the drag strip and see what it will do in a straight line!