HybridZ

i have a 72 240z and stock brakes but the brakes dont work all that well. they stop me but when i need to stop really fast it feels like im gonna shove my foot through the fire wall and it still doesnt lock up the tires, i know its bad to lock emm up but i cant

any help at all would be great

Thanks

For a temporary solution you can use the e-brake(hope your right hand is quick). Works very well in my stock brake 71 V8 240Z.

Then you need to upgrade the brakes. Search for "brake setup" using search function. There is a thread where everyone lists their brake setups.

Ahhh...what the heck, here it is http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=99389&highlight=brake+setup

Most swap setups use toyota 4 piston front calipers (stamped S-12-W) from a V6 4Runner(instead of S-12-8, off a 4x4truck). Plus 300ZX rotors and 15/16 master cylinder from a 280ZX.

Or you can buy $$$brake upgrade kits$$$ from most major Z parts suppliers like Arizona Z car, Modern Motorsport, etc.

I am not an expert at all, I am planning to do a brake swap as well. There are a lot of threads about doing the toyota caliper swap but the info is not very well organized; It's hard when you have a particular question in mind. Search first, if you don't find what you're looking for, then ask. People will be glad to help.

TheNeedForZ

Just rebuild your stock brakes. New pads and rotors at a minimum. Check for leaks, replace the rubber brake lines as needed and rebuild the calipers, wheel cylinders and master cylinder as needed. If you are not sure how to check any of those things, then just take it to Midas and write a check.

Sort out the problems with your stock units before you start throwing aftermarket parts at the problem.

One last thing. My early 240 with well maintained brakes would sometimes feel like the pedal just ran out of travel. It would usually happen when I needed to do a fast stop like you describe. It is my opinion the early 240's had a master cylinder that was too small for even the stock brakes. The problem is made much worse if the rubber brake lines are old and swelling more than new hoses. I swapped to a 15/16 MC from a ZX and put in stainless steel brake lines. Cured the foot through the floor board problem for me even with otherwise stock everything else.

BUT just do a basic brake job first to make sure it isn't something stupid like being low on fluid.

Sounds like you either have a bad master cylinder or air in your lines. While you prolly need to go through your entire brake system first checks for leaks around the MC (inside and out) and then if nothing is found try bleeding your brakes very throghly