HybridZ

Distributor options for older SBC?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Hey all, actually posting this for a friend of mine. He's got a '64 Nova/Chevy II (I forget which and may be off on the year), with a 350 in it. Not sure if the motor was stock or came from a different car (he thinks it had the straight six in it originally). At any rate, it's an older 350, that's about all he knows. It's got a distributor in it that is using points, and he's having a lot of problems. I recommended going with an electronic dizzy, but he can't buy anything fancy/high price like a full performance distributor.

So I wanted to ask for him, what kind of compatibility/options does he have open to him, as far as pulling a distributor off of a later model Chevy, that would lose the points. Something he can pull at the junkyard and only pay a few bucks for?

Non computer controlled HEI, look for one that has a +, _ (tach) terminal connections only on the cap. Install the black module and make sure you put dielectric grease on the mating surface. I'd install a HP coil in the cap or an external coil to get more spark, but the stock one will work for what he's got.

Guest bastaad525

yeah he's got one that has the coil built into the cap.

can you give some examples of year/models where he could find a non computer controlled HEI distributor?

Also, what about the distributor shaft? Mind you, I'm coming from an L28ET point of view... there are a few different shafts that go along with various year/model dizzies on those. Are they all the same on the older 350's? Would one of these later non-points dizzies be a direct bolt in replacement?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bastaad525

hey guys sorry to bring this old topic back up. Was talking to my friend with the SBC Nova today, about this distributor thing again. I mentioned to him what Phil1934 said about the Pertronix being only $50. He checked the PAW catalog and lowest Pertronix was listed at like $120. Where can he find a Pertronix dizzy for his car for around $50?

Also, he's asking me, if he goes with distributor from a later car (the non EFI HEI that was suggested above) does he need an ignitor module as well? And does this attach to the dizzy like it does on N/A L6 dizzies?

In the Jegs catalog, the Pertronix Ignitor conversion kit, which replaces the points with an electronic module, is $74.99. Crane sells a kit for 64.99, too. IMHO, since his distributor is so old, it may well have sticking advance weights or other problems. His best bet IMHO, bang for the buck, is to go for a good used GM HEI unit.