HybridZ

Making carbs work on an L28E

Guest Battle Pope

Guest Battle Pope

Here's another one for you guys. I'm hoping at least one of you will know, but I'm sure there are more than that.

My '76 has an L28E with buggered wiring. Instead of fixing it I decided to throw carbs on it for simplicity's sake. I've almost got the N42 manifold off and everything looks like it's going to come together soon. However, the carbs are Weber DGVs taken from a 260z. That's fine except the balance tube has all the smog crap on it. Here in Bumblescum, OR there isn't any emissions testing so I'm deleting all the smog stuff. I'm going to remove all the unnecessary fittings and have the tube welded up and smoothed down.

I need to know EXACTLY which fittings I will need for vac sources and whatnot. I know I'll need the PCV valve and the valve cover breather and the vac for the brake booster. Is there anything else? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm running an N42 block/head in my 260Z with older round-top SUs. I dumped the 260 balance tube and got a used balance tube from '71 240 that doesn't have all the emissions crud. If you can't find a used one (Danny's Datsuns is in your neck of the woods) delete everything but a port for the distributor vacuum advance, PCV valve, and a larger port for the brake booster. The valve cover breather on my car is running to the base plate of one of the air filter housings. I'm quoting from memory (not at home now) but, I'm pretty sure thats all I'm running on mine.

Guest Battle Pope

If you wouldn't mind, could you check it out for me later? I'll try Danny's, but I'm not 100% sure I want to deal through him. I have my own reasons. Thanks for the info already provided, it helps a lot!

No sweat. I'll take a look this evening. I should have a digital photo or two showing my setup. I wasn't recommending Danny. I've never bought from him because he is ALWAYS more expensive than everybody else I try on used parts. I just suggested him because he is in your (general) corner of the state.

I'll PM you with what I've got after I get home tonight.

Guest Battle Pope
I've never bought from him because he is ALWAYS more expensive than everybody else I try on used parts.

That's about half of it. :P It's a long story, but you might be interested in hearing it.

Thanks for going to all this trouble!

I decided to post rather than PM you in case this is helpful to anyone else.

Ok. I lied. I only have two ports on the balance tube utilized on my car. 1) PCV valve and 2) brake booster. The vacuum advance for the dizzy is running off a small port on the base of the front carb. Everything else has been deleted and blocked off.

Here's a pic taken before I put on the Ramflo air filters:

intake.jpg

Danny's Datsuns is in Sutherlin just off I 5 where I visited 2 weeks ago.. I am about 80 miles north of there. I have a 240 or 260 manifold but it appears to have more pollution gizmos than Mark's photo indicates. I have the DGV Weber downdraft set-up but no Webers. I know of a wrecking yard where I have credit that has the SU setup with one round top and other one missing. I do not know what year manifold but on a 280 block.

Guest Battle Pope

Yeah, it's probably a 260z tube. my webers came with a 260 tube that was kinda worn out. as in, EGR was completely blocked up, all hoses were broken, and there was a hole in it. lol