HybridZ

Why can i not find a 327block?

Guys, i have been looking on ebay like crazy, and searching swap meets...

Why can i not find a 327 Small journal block that is at .030 or below that.

They made plenty of these motors, and i cant find a block for less than $200...

I am dying to build this 302, the block is the hardest part to find..

Davy,

Maybe these guys can help you out, unless you plan on doing the assembly work locally:)

http://www.speedomotive.com/425%20H.P.%20STRONG%20ARM%20400%20STREET%20MASTER.htm

ASSEMBLED SHORT BLOCK:

$1,995.00 free shipping

BORE =.4.165" DECK = 9.00

ROD LENGTH = 5.7 LONG ROD ROD RATIO .1.52

PEAK TORQUE =474 @ 4,000rpm

PEAK H.P. = 425 @ 5,500rpm Quench = .045

ASSEMBLED SHORT BLOCK INCLUDES:

PRECISION GROUND GM 3.750 STROKE CRANK

GM 5.7 RODS WITH ARP WAVE LOC BOLTS

PROBE FORGED DISH TOP PISTONS, ZERO DECK COMPRESSION RATIO:64cc=10.4-1, 72cc=9.6-1, 76cc=9.3-1

TOTAL SEAL MAX MOLY RING SET, 1/16-1/16-3/16

CLEVITE MAIN & ROD

FEL-PRO REAR MAIN SEAL

GM 2 BOLT 400 BLOCK - FULLY MACHINED

EXPERT ASSEMBLY - BALANCED TO WITHIN 1/2 GRAM WHEN FLYWHEEL & DAMPER ARE ADDED

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I've Had My 327 Small Journal For Sale For The Longest Time.... I'm In Phoenix Though.

I Was Asking $750 For The Motor (disassembled, Virgin Block, Needs Rebuild) And Trans (bw T5).

why build the 327 when you can build a 350? Man, i must have answered that about 1000 times. Please lets not make this an arguement post. A 302 can spin to crazy high RPM's. I have never heard a sbc spin to 8,000 (and still make power at that) and i really want too. I want to be the only buy around with a 302, let alone one in a Datsun. i have only seen a few 302's in my life (im only 19) I like to have special things, kinda like conversation pieces. For example.

My 79 malibu, i bought it as an automatic, but changed it to a 4 speed. Theres hardly ANY 4 speed g bodies, and i love to talk about it

Find that 327 and build the 302...Some came with tube headers and cross fed dual 4bbl carb manifolds. Between 50 and 95 mph .. a person was literally pinned to the seat during rapid acceleration in the Camaro.. A friend of mine had the muscle cars in the 60 and 70's and the Camaro on the road/highway/street would run circles around the others including a 440 Hemi Try Craig's list.. I have seen them offered there go to the "Cruise's" and ask those old timers about a 327 ..Probably everyone there has 3 0r 4 at home with 4 bolt mains

a person was literally pinned to the seat during rapid acceleration in the Camaro.. A friend of mine had the muscle cars in the 60 and 70's and the Camaro on the road/highway/street would run circles around the others including a 440 Hemi Try Craig's list.. I have seen them offered there go to the "Cruise's" and ask those old timers about a 327 ..Probably everyone there has 3 0r 4 at home with 4 bolt mains

Ever seen their times at the track? I just saw a beautiful 69 Camaro with a 302 at track he did a 10.2 1/8! 327's haven't done any better. In their day they were fine, this is 40 years later, tires, transmission and all have evolved.

Once one hp per cube was great, today it is common from factory and gets >20 mpg, needs a tune >50,000 miles. I lived in the 60's with the cars, it was a good time, but those builds don't hold a candle to an LS1 or LT1.

Watching a tach is fun, but I personally prefer a fast car versus an expensive conversation piece.

powered DZ302 is a blast and sounds wicked whinding up to 8-8.5k. That said it will not hang with my 385 stroked sbc. Even 350's will give him all he can handle and then some.

In his Z my guess is it will run low 13's, maybe a high 12. He had a baby blower on it (144) and it was a solid 11 second car. If you like to hear it scream 302's are awsome.

Mike

the only g body cars that came factory 4 speed were mexican g bodies. This is fact from http://www.gbody.org.

I guess nobody told Grumpy Jenkins that the 327 wouldn't hang with the 350's of the day, he was only turning low 9's in a PS vega and that was with production GM heads of the day! Or, how about Mickey Caldwell with the C modified production national record corvette with a 283 turning 8500rpm turning 11's, whooping bootie on the 302's and 327's back in the '60's. All with production cast iron heads!

Point is that unless you have good heads, cubic inches ain't gonna help. Build a 350 with stock heads and a 383 with stock heads and the 383 isn't going to offer much, if any big gains due to lack of increased airflow to match the cubes. 302's and 327's respond well and work well with the old "camel" iron. Where with big inches you need big ports to make it work like it should. However to get alot of HP the smaller engines will be more radical than a larger engine with the right parts.

It's an age old argument that has been solved with the great availability of the aftermarket heads, increase in cam technology, piston technology and the availability of great blocks, cranks and rods all at much more affordable prices than we had back then.

Build what you want, it'll work, might not be the best but it'll be what you want and that's what counts!

Same discussion no one will change their mind. BUT it still comes down to given equal efforts cubes ALWAYS win. I think Grumpy did some desktop dynos comparisons and is definately an eye opener.

The 302/327 are great sounding and will rev to the sky. BUT tell me how expensive is a biuild that will take >7000 RPM? Put that money into a 377, 383, or even a 350 and you will beat the smaller cubes.

I had a 283 in the 60's loved it but I wouldnt build one today unless given the parts. I prefer a low RPM high torque and HP setup. But my car is street driven, now a track only I MIGHT go to <7000 but sorry never on street.