HybridZ

TPI injection which one to buy?

Guest traub83

Guest traub83

Im looking to do a tpi setup for my next motor im gonna build for an s10 sorry guys this one isnt for my Z but regardless i felt someone here would know the answer. I am going with 882 style heads and a mild cam and I am wanting to go with the tpi injection setup like the 80's vettes and camaros had, how ever I was told those motors used the newer vortech style heads and had there own bolt pattern so I would not be able to use a tpi manifold on older style heads is this true?? if it is true does any company make a lower manifold for the older style so I can still use the tpi upperhalf and stuff?? also which years of the tpi was best, Im just looking on ebay for my goodies and just am currious which ones i should be looking for and which i should avoid..

Thanks Guys

The TPI motors were not Vortec style. These monifolds can bolt to the old style heads. You may have to modify the center manifold bolts but I hear it is quite simple. There are a few small differences in the TPI's but nothing major. The early models had an extra cold start injector and the later ones had better injectors. The injector size is different between the 305 and 350 so be careful there unless you plan on upgrading the injectors anyway. These systems make great torque but power falls off in the upper RPM range (above 4500 for a 350). Makes sure when you get the TPI system that you get a complete wiring harness and all of the sensors to go with it.

If you are interested I have a complete system with computer/harness and sensors of of an 89 Formula Firebird, but it was a 305 so the injectors would need to be changed out for your application.

Guest traub83

about how much would you be asking for it, also when swapping injectors will I have to retune the ecu or does it automatically pick up on the new size?? that a way i dont run way rich!!

The big change in tpi came in '90 when they changed from MAF to SD. Speed/Density would be a big advantage to you since you're stuffing this into an S10 as it simplifies the intake plumbing. The pic below is of my SD tpi and you can see all I have is a K&N stuck on the throttle body.

The computer will not recognize the injector size. This is not plug-n-play.

If you use the GM ECM you would need to get yourself a prom burner and some software and burn proms to alter the programming, which you will want to do.

But my advice, since you are building this motor up from parts, is to use MegaSquirt. It's cheap and a lot easier to make changes to (no prom burning). It's a SD type system and will run a tpi just fine. Do a search and you will find that Moby-the-Van has got a tpi motor running on MS.

I would take $200 for the entire setup but as mentioned above it is a MAF type unit not the speed density. I have everything that came off of the car including the elbow and maf sensor, wiring harness, computer, sensors, manifolds etc. I think that the maf is doable in an S10 but there is not much room on the front of the engine so I am not sure. Look on EBAY there are usually several available there and some are speed density and claim to come off of 350's. Just make sure you get everything.

If you are interested I will take some pictures and email them to you.