HybridZ

T3/4E turbos on my 350

Guest traub83

Guest traub83

I am seriously thinking on ditching my blower for a twin turbo setup for my Z, however I want to make it as clean and simple as possible, I would not be running an intercooler (yet) I am planning to be boosting around 10psi on my motor, anyways I am wanting to get an internal wastegated turbo set up so i was thinking on fabbng a set of shorty headers for a t3 flange and running a pair of t3/4e turbos internally wastegated, they have 57 trim compressors. My cam is a boost profile cam and is a roller cam with around .550 lift after my 1.6 rockers are done. I have a full forged eagle assembly. will these turbo's be a good choice for my plans, id love to see 600hp out of this combo at least since I am darn near there now with the blower just like 15hp away so i should be able to make more power with the turbos but what do you guys think on this or should i be going a different route??

Guest traub83

im at 8.2:1 compression currently, and i bored my motor to start fresh so im now a 355 but yah basically still a 350. I think this would be a sweet lil setup for my tastes, have more power than my blower, keep all of it under the hood and can always upgrade with an intercooler and up the boost later on for more power!! and the fact it will be all internal wastegated will make things simpler for me also just run 3" downpipes off each turbo then to a flow 50 series and a nice tip and whaalaa done!! actually I may go with a HKS muffler for each side.

Has anyone heard an HKS or Apexi Muffler on a turbo v8 yet? does it have the rice sound or does it have a nice mean turbo sound to it??

Dont use any type of baffled muffler, like a flowmaster. They add more backpressure then you think and rob power from a turbo setup. I ran a flowmaster race muffler on my l28et and it was horrible. Magnaflow straight muffler or similar worked wonders.

But forget all that, turbos are mufflers! run straight pipes!

Dont use any type of baffled muffler' date=' like a flowmaster.

turbos are mufflers! run straight pipes![/quote']

I have Flowmasters on my Z and it is still on the loud side. I may try another type of muffler because they do drone. When I drove my Z to the muffler shop without mufflers, the turbos did not muffle very much..... it was very loud.

Hanns

Guest traub83

So If I would go with a muffler I would want to get a straight through design like most of the ricers through on there civics and neons exe... now im not saying anything bad about them at all just i hate the fart can sound, now Im sure on a v8 turbo'ed I would not get a fart can sound but prob a deep rumble with that classic turbo whine thats why I mentioned HKS and Apexi mufflers earlier. I just donno exactly what they would sound like on a V8 turbo? Cause Straight pipes would be fun and all but I still want my car to be fairly quiet when im cruisin her and when I have it on the freeway. So I will go with some sort of muffler I just do not want that fart can sound, I just want a mellow rumble sound that sounds mean as hell expecially when ya hear the turbos going crazy :wink: and the priceless look on the camaro next to me when I rev up HA HA HA HA!!!! Any inputs?

Actually there is a 300zx turbo'ed running around my town and it does not sound farty at all it actually sounds hella mean and i can never see what mufflers he has but I believe he has Megan mufflers so im sure on a V8 it would be that much more intense of a sound.

Guest bastaad525

yeah that "turbos ARE mufflers" comment... not exactly true.

yes the turbos will cut down on the exhaust noise by some degree, but probably not enough that you'd want to drive it around that way for very long. I drove my Z like that for a couple weeks and man it was VERY loud when I would push it, and would get all other drivers + all pedestrians on the sidewalks to look at my loud car. I imagine it'd only be worse for high horsepower V8.

And I also agree that you definately want to go with a straight thru type muffler... a lot of guys run the Dynomax Bullet, it's cheap, but it also is pretty loud. But it's a NICE kinda loud... good deep sound.

thanks for the input guys im leaning towards buying 2 apexi mufflers with 3" inputs, However I donno about the v8 with import style mufflers on my car, to me thats not right but i bet it sound good and look good to boot, its just the v8 thing with apexi mufflers lol thats basically it.

Legally a turbo counts as one muffler. That is how the new dodge srt4 gets by without a muffler. One turbo and one cat is all it has, but it is loud.

Blower cams are different than turbo cams, right? Turbo cams normally have more intake duration than exhaust and blower cams have more exhaust duration than intake. However, both cams should have very wide lobe centers.

I use hooker Aero-Chambers on my V8 Z and they are pretty quiet while driving down the road but are kind of loud at idle.