HybridZ

Don't know why my torc converter is popping fuses

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

Just when the torc converter should lock up (as soon as I hit 3rd) I pop the fuse that is powering the lock up.

I have a simple set up...

Power +] ----[fuse]----[ToggleSwitch]---- [Plug into tranny]

I have the power wired into the top left pin of the four pin plug when viewing it with the clip to the top. (The same as the location of the red wire in this picture) Bowtie only shows one wire going into the tranny here

Is there another wire I need to ground out? Am I using the wrong pin on the plug? What could be wrong?

Any advice to what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

Guest tony78_280z

Man, I knew I was gonna have to make a short story long...

There is also the manual lock up kit here (ie. toggle switch lock up)

As well as the plunger switch kit here Which is a switch activated not by a circuit in the break lights (ie. relay), but by the position of the break peddle. It's just a switch.

What I was using was my own version of the relay style similar to this here, but I was using my own relay (I scrounged up) and their wiring diagram here. But I kept popping fuses. To rule out the relay as an error I simply wired it strait bypassing the relay and used a toggle switch. (as described in earlier post) I then got it up to speed and hit the switch. *POP* So as you can see, with a relay, or a toggle switch, I'm poppoing fuses.

I have an 89, and what I understand is after 87 the 700r4 was redesighned with some stouter features. One of them being that it can run without the torque converter lock up and not burn up. (I hope) But I also hear that with this lock up feature I should increase my gas milage by 10%. That would make the 18mpg I'm getting into 19.8mpg only .2 from my goal.

Thanks for the reply and I hope this clarification can help to solve my delima.

Guest tony78_280z
Also, check again to make sure you are in the right pin hole. Good luck.
Good point. I put the plug into the tranny so that the clip was facing forward.

(Front of Car)

clip

XO

OO

It slid in and locked into place so I assumed this is the propper way. Is it possible I put this plug into the tranny in the wrong direction? Anyone know what he other pins on the plug do?