HybridZ

I have a 73' 240z and a 78' 280z... little confused on what i need...

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

Alright i've been researching the parts required to set up my 73' with an R200 for some time now, i'm a little new to what i feel is pretty detailed work, i also know my car will see alot of power, so i need to make sure i'm crossing my T's and dotting my I's so i don't inadvertantly kill myself.

Currently in the stable of cars:

73' 240z (as pictured below) all stock R180 stuff out back

78' 280z, also all stock w/ a 3.54 (i think thats it) r200 (once again, i think, still trying to commit yearmodel differences to memory.

and in the spare parts corner, a r200 3.54 acquired from ON3GO.

Now, the 78' is stock, it will not see more power, it isn't really abused, it's just driven around as a nice classic, so i'm contemplating swapping stuff from it into the 73' since the 73' will see alot of power.

I've read about companion flanges, stub axles, etc... i'm a visual person though so i'm having a hard time "seeing" what i need. I'm attaching 2 photos of the rear end as it sits now, ignore the sway bar mounts being wrong, we figured that one out awhile back.

What i need to know is (and illustrations or boxing my photos would be a big help) what parts i need to put the R200 in my 73', i've got that entire spare R200 in a tub, but which would be easier? Sourcing these parts that i can't seem to understand? or swapping the entire rear end/axles from the 280z over to the 240z and vis-versa?

Sorry if this question sounds really basic... i'm just not to good w/ this hybrid rear suspension stuff yet... still working on learning it...

r180rearoverall3cp.th.jpg

r180rearoverall20pv.th.jpg

sorry I'm not a photoshopper so I can't draw on your pics but for the R200 swap you need the diff (I think you figured that much out already), it's output flanges (they are the things that the halfshafts are bolted to on the differential side) and the mustache bar (this is the thing that the back of the R200 differential was bolted to assuming you got it out of a 280Z and not a 280ZX) and thats it it all just bolts in, your car being a 73 I'm pretty sure your driveshaft will still fit, early cars have to use the 280 driveshaft as well due to a slightly different mounting location

Guest 73Turbo240z

Alright well that being said, i don't have a spare R200 mustache bar, nor do i have spare R200 output flanges, so under that circumstances would it be possible to swap the 73' and 78's hardware over straight up? just diff/output flanges/halfshafts/mustache bar from the 78 into the 73 and vis versa? or is the R180 not reverseable into a later model Z?