HybridZ

Bit of a problem with my turbo

EZ-E

Well I was hearing this noise you know, the kind you wonder whats that. So today I look and come to find that the noise is a stud that had back its way out of the manifold and is resting on the side of the fender wall and the frame rail.

As I look further I see that 2 others have become loose and only one stud and nut is holding the turbo on.

Well I think no big deal, I bolt it all back up and tighten it down, and start her up.

Well this is where it gets hairy, it seems at least at idle when you just rev a bit that there is a claning noise, like metal rattling against metal, I cant find nothing loose at all.

In an attempt to find it though it is a bit hard as metal transfers sound, but it seems to be coming form the turbo?

Could this be as its only 4 months old, and might have about 5000 miles on it.

Now with the turbo not fully bolted up it was giving me 15 psi at the intake, but once bolted down tight, boost was above 20 psi, and adjusting down still was up as it was getting dark i didnt go any further.

So Im thinking with that small leak could it have been overboosting.

Its a T3/TO4E, .60 on the compressor, .63 on the exhaust, 57 trim, stage III wheel.

Id hate to see this new turbo trashed because of something this stupid.

Take off the inlet to the turbo and try to move the shaft side to side and forward/aft. If you have movement (just a tiny bit side to side is normal), but if you can really move it, then a rebuild may be in your future. Does the turbo have a 360* thrust collar installed? I went through a couple of hybrid turbos before having a 360 thrust collar installed on the last rebuild. It seems that turbos don't live too long above 15-16 psi without one.

No unfortunately it doesnt, it has the 270 degree thrust bearing. I had checked play today and it was as tight as the day that I purchased the turbo.

The noise however is still there.

Things that I have noticed are its slow to boost, then it hits really hard as revs go up. I cannot find any other loose parts to explain the clanging noise that is makes. It almost sounds like the heat sheild is loose, but it is not.

I shouldnt have retightened it lol it was absolutely fine before.

Its making me crazy though as to what is wrong here, like I said all I did was retighten the bolts.

Anyone have any ideas?