HybridZ

Ignitor/transistor bad? L28et

Metro

I've been having problems with my motor for a few weeks now, miss at idle, stumble around 2000-2700rpm, won't rev up when it's cold, etc.

Now the other day when I was reving it and listening to the motor is just slowly died and won't restart. I have a fuel pressure gauge, so I know fuel is good. I believe there's something wrong with the ignition. I have spark, but it looks weak - it's also reddish/white spark. If I do a spark test with a plug, it looks inconsistent and weak. Coil is getting 12volts when cranking, so I don't see a problem there. Today I bought a new rotor and cap and I'm using the good plug wires from my N/A L28, but still no good.

I did some research tonight and it sounds like it might be a bad transistor (ignitor). Does this sound like anything anyone has come across before?

Same here. When did my first turbo transplant, I could not get my Z started. It wouldn't even fire up for a half a second. Once replace, started right up.

Coil, plug wires, or even the wiring? Worst case the computer.

What have you tried?

I've tried everything I can think of, everything crappy haynes manual says and everything my Dad(mechanic, but diesel generators mostly) can think of. So like power to the coil, power when cranking, resistance of the coil, multiple grounds to the coil, different plug wires, haven't tried a new coil yet though.

But now it's looking maybe it's not ignition related. When I was playing with it today, I had all the injector plugs disconnected and the damn thing fired for a few seconds. So hooked the injectors back up and pulled a vacuum line, played with it and was able to get the car running after giving it a small leak. It will even rev up. When my 76 had bad injectors and was dripping fuel, I couldn't get it rev over 2000rpm without it dying.

This ecu/motor is driving me freaking crazy for months now. Fuel pressure is good, injectors are new. Even if I got it running again, it ran horrible before it flat out died the other day.

I just don't get it, but for those 2 weeks back in July it was awesome :|