HybridZ

Engine Compartment Venting & Heat management

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My 350 is from an 87 Z28 and uses dual electric fans with a stock sized auto transmission radiator. The set up works well even in the hot San Diego summers. The cockpit temperatures however get too hot to

fast even though I added extra insulation (rugs & pads) and made sure the heater controls etc were working.

I am running smog legal stock manifolds.

Question 1. How effective is wrapping the manifold and exhaust pipes in lowering the excessive engine compartment temperatures?

Question 2. What are the most effective ways to improve airflow / vent the engine compartment?

Question 3. What A/C compressor fits best on a Jags that Run type of 350 installation? Am I dreaming?

Hi UncleEd

1) Wrapping headers is viewed by many as a great way to keep the heat in the pipes, but also a great way to make them brittle piles of scrap metal in short order. Metallic/Ceramic coating is used by many to reduce under hood heat, but it's not as effective, but better than nothing.

2) Try checking the search engine here for "aerodynamic" in the subject line. There was a thread a while ago talking about under hood heat venting, etc. Never mind, here's the URL to the thread: Aerodynamic data for 240Z needed & cooling idea

3) I have A/C using a custom A/C compressor mount off of the JTR left engine mount. But anything can be made to work. There is the issue of the fenders getting in the way of some A/C condensor setups if the wrong brackets are used. You're not dreaming, A/C will fit in the Z with the V8. Check my site (below) for pictures in the "Various Pictures" area for my setup.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest Anonymous

Any Chevy bracket that either puts the A/C compressor up high (like nestled in between the valve cover and intake) or down low on the right should be fine. Take a stroll through your pick and pull, or bug everyone you know with a chevy to look at potential mounts, it should'nt take anything custom, Chevy had lots of applications and one of them is bound to work. (obviously don't rule out late Pontiac and GMC products... smile.gif )

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited January 26, 2001).]

Uncle Ed.

Had no problem (well you know some mods) installing ac comp lower left, driverside, on 79 Chev 350 with nice mounts from Vintage Air of San Antonio,TX. using the small Sanyo comp. In TX heat it works great.

I've got a short water pump, want to mount an alternator on the upper passenger side, and owuld like to mount A/C on the passenger side as well to limit the length of the lines. Doable? How about in serpentine? I figure since alternator connections and A/C stuff is on that side this means shorter runs but I'm not sure how to do it... Have zero experience with A/C installs so I hop ethis sin't too bad to do - I've got most of the parts I need I think and a line on some others if I can get off my butt to go get them (ahem).