HybridZ

Differential problem? please help

2003z

OK, so I got the car back together and went to drive it. There is a ticking noise coming from the rear somewhere, whether in gear or not. I put the car on jackstands, turned it on and put it in gear, to see if I could locate the sounds. Couldn't hear anything, but my left wheel wasn't really turning. Every second or two it woud rotate a tiny bit, and if I turned it with my hand, it felt like it wanted to go. Plus, the ticking noise is much louder when turning right, and almost nonexistant when turning left.

When I was removing the left rear strut, I forgot to unbolt the axle from the hub at first. Is it possible that I pulled the axle partially out of the differential when I did this?

Also, when up in the air and car turned off, in neutral, spinning one wheel does nothing to the other. In gear, they spin opposite directions, which I believe is normal.

Whatever the problem, I don't think I'll be able to fix it by next sundays track day. :(

since the differential side flange is bolted in place, I don't think I hurt the differential, but might have hurt the axle shaft. It seems odd that if I didn't damage anything, the differential would go out at this time.

turns out it was a stuck parking brake. I've got 280zx rear discs and when I pulled the caliper and let it hang, it adjusted the parking brake a little. I'm still not real familiar with the inner workings of them, but eddie radatz talked me through it on the phone. Also replaced the rear eibachs with tokico springs, so the back is a little higher now.