HybridZ

350 4 bolt main casting # crank

Guest traub83

Guest traub83

OK I have a new block waiting for me for the new turbo motor Im gonna play with over the next year or so anyways the guy told me it was a complete motor and the block casting number is 3970010 he guearenteed me it was a 4 bolt main block as he said he rebuild it once a long time ago.. However do any of you know if this perticular motor would have came with a steel or forged crank from the factory? he said it came out of a 74 pickup 4x4... so im thinking this motor already has the good crank. however since I have not seen it yet and wont for about 2 weeks I was currious if anyone here knew what cranks came with what blocks!!??

nope, it'll be a cast crank unless somebody put a steel crank in it, but it is a 4 bolt main. Steel cranks in 350's came in High HP versions only, like the 'vette all years, camaro in '68-70, chevelle same years I think. Other than that the steel crank can be found in c60 chevy and GMC medium duty trucks as standard equipment. The forging number I believe is 1182.

The gm steel crank isn't all that great, but it depends on what you are doing with it HP wise. I think you can buy one for around $380 new and you can get an eagle crank for about the same $$$ that has better fillets and is lighter by a couple of pounds.

I am running that same number block. the 010's are good old blocks, if your lucky it would be a 010 block with a 020 stamp bus block. Very good old block.

Mike

0010 blocks came with both 2 and 4 bolt main caps. Also both had forged and cast cranks. The only way to know for sure is to open it up and check. You never know what you'll find in an engine that old.

Bingo.

I've got a 3970010 that is hecho en mexico.

John

Guest traub83

If its a cast crank I will make sure it will be forged via Eagle or Scat! and while im doing it I might as well make it a 383 stroker :-) personally Id like to find a 283 crank for it and make a destroked rpm monster for the turbo!!! cause thats what id build it for rather than torque... anyone know a good hookup on a 3" stroke crank for a 350?

If it's a forged crank I'd keep it. There have been a lot of high horsepower 350's with GM forged cranks. Just have it checked and maybe polished. As for the 283 crank idea, they won't just drop in a 350. The mains are a different size. If my memory is still good I think Sealed Power made bearings for that conversion. Chevrolet already did that combination. It's called a 302. You might try to find a 302 crank. I think the mains will be the right size for the 350 block. Might be a bit pricey tho.

Guest traub83

yah i know its a 302, I didnt know they were different tho hmm... well maybe it will just be best to make a high revving 350 and just bore it out to a 355 so I have fresh walls in my block..