HybridZ

a little help please

Guest 70datsun240

Guest 70datsun240

Ok, Ive been serching all over this site for answers to my question but im just getting more and more confused. I need to swap out my diff because its toast! I would like to put in the r200. SO heres my question. Are there long and short r200's if so what would be the best one to put into my 71 240? will a r200 from a 240sx fit in? or do i need one out of a zx? if so what exacly do i need? will it bolt right in with the moustache bar from the zx? and do I need do shorted the driveshaft? thats about it. if someone could help that would be great!! Oh yea one more thing, i want to switch cylinder heads to, will a 280zx head bolt right into place? what would be the best head to get? sorry for all the stupid question but i really need to know. THANKS A MILL

the easiest way to put an R200 in would be getting the R200 long nose the rear diff support mustache bar and possibly the front support crossmember from a 77/78 280z. The 240z axels should bolt up to the diff. You might want to do a search just to confirm this. I would suggest calling the Zbarn.com they have a "kit" That they could supply you with all the the parts you need for a conversion. Although the shipping of the diff to canada could be expensive. At least call them to get the lowdown on the parts you need.

The early edition JTR manual had a write up on the swap. An R200 swap is fairly simple on the early 240's. As an added benefit, the 71 Z's had the diff mounted too far forward. This causes the diff to not be in line with the rear axles. Putting in an R200 will correct this and help give you a smoother ride.

You need the long nose diff, the heavier R200 mustache bar and the rear suspension crossmember that runs behind the diff. You will also need the longer driveshaft from the donor car. At that point every thing is bolt in. You simply turn the front diff mount isolator around 180 degrees to make it all work.

The way to tell the early, pre 72 diff mounting position from the later one is the cross piece behind the diff. If it is straight, then it is in the forward position. If it has a bow in it, then it is the later setup.