HybridZ

A good spray-on primer?

MusPuppis

Starting to get the tear down of my 240 in gear and wanted to know what spray-on primer you guys recommend for general use on body panels?

The paint is chipped and beat to hell and some surface rust is creeping up in a few areas. I also intend to do some minor body work and need something to protect the areas Im working on when Im done. Eventually the car will be painted but thats a year and some change down the road.

Ive bought a couple different types of primer for use on my friends 67 Mustang and I was NOT impressed with either. Was curious if you all have a particular brand and type you prefer over the others for general protection until a real prime and paint job can be accomplished.

If you can't spray a good two part epoxy primer on it right away then the as you go primer I have heard good things about Zero Rust or Rust bullit. They will at least keep moisture from penetrating them and touching the metal. The problem with most single stage primers is that they are pourous and let in moisture. If the area is pitted then Por 15 works well. I used it in my hatch after I wire wheeled it and that was over a year ago and it is still holding up really well.

If your car is inside out of the rain, then spray it with PickleX and don't touch it.

If you have to leave it outside, then go with a good two part primer as stated earlier.

Some would say do the body work and then appl,y the primer, others say spray the primer, then doi bodywork, sealing all the bodywork between layers of primer.

You may want to go ahead and put a coat of sandable primer oin after the last coat of epoxy. It's easier to sand than the epoxy, which you will have to spray again after sanding if waiting longer than its' recoat window.